Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods DAMN Chip and Seal Roads, Anyway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Jul 30, 2019.

1. They do my road every other year. It sucks. A good downpour helps and traffic.

lothiandon1940 and jaw22w like this.
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I don’t get it , I guess it is supposed to be a cheaper way of “ paving” vs. hard top . Hard top will out last the tar and chip by 4 x so how is it saving money in the long run . I’m sure the pollution of the earth is 10 x greater than hard topping also .

lothiandon1940, jaw22w and ct1932ford like this.
  3. From what I understand it is way cheaper. It seems to only give two years at best.:confused: It is much faster, so it does not mess up traffic as long. It is a band aid at best.

jaw22w likes this.
  4. They did the highway at our corner 4 month ago. and they put down between 4 and 5 inches of some kind of pulverized chat. it had lots of fines and lime that made plenty of dust. our house is 50 ft from the road edge. After two weeks they swept the loose stuff off on to the edge of the road. There are still piles of it. I had to power wash everything several times to remove the white dust. The lime did make the grass grow. chip 001.JPG chip 002.JPG

5. They chip seal this area all the time, Every couple years it sux a$$.

Gonna be no fancy paint on my open wheel hot rod.

And the DD's are just cheap beaters. Just sux when a windshield gets it.

6. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Rent a car with the insurance and drive it like craZy up and down the road all day to knock it down and make it good for the classic to drive on ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Imagine this thread 10 years ago.o_O

OMG...gravel dings and tar specks. It’s Over.

RusTnut and jaw22w like this.
  8. No chip 'n' seal in my county. They go right for a little bit of grinding and then roll out a couple of inches of asphalt.mix. It's not wet enough to stick to your paint but there is some flying flack for a day or two that could possibly chip paint.

jaw22w likes this.
  9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does not save money, Dave. Remember you are dealing with some government function so saving money is not ever considered. You keep sending them money and they keep spending it.

jaw22w and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. "they" is you. the more local the more power YOU have. attend a meeting, vote, get involved and find out what really is the best solution to the deteriorating roads. Bitching here does nothing, go build a hot rod.

osage orange and jaw22w like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

When I was in the County, they'd do the same thing. Called and complained..luckily got the right person to talk to. Next day they were running a sweeper up and down the road. Cleaned it up nicely.

osage orange and jaw22w like this.
  12. The last time they overlayed the highway out in front of my place was 1977. Its been tar and gravel every year since. They did widen and overlay the highway 90 from town to clearview road this spring about 6 miles. painted white lines added center reflectors and a rumble strip on the edges . its pretty nice.

jaw22w likes this.
  13. Built our house in Or & there was a 1/2 mile of gravel rd. I bought my 32 in 2000 & it has glass fenders. That ain't purdy folks. Once you get stars in the glass they are there forever. We finally all got together & had the road paved.
    When we would take an extended cruise in the 32 it was a total redo when we got home. Cost he ins.co $10,000 or more each time. Lost the hood due to high wind in Az. Hit a large coon in Cal & by the time I got home it had bent the shock lower bracket & oil caned the frame & cracked it around the mounting bracket. This does not count the repaint because of chip seal roads we had to drive on.

Attached Files:

jaw22w likes this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

If I had to put up with chip and seal every year or two I'd probably take up another hobby like quilting or scrapbooking. What sad a way to see all your hard paint work turn to shit.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    jaw22w likes this.
  15. indyjps

indyjps

Lets bookmark this thread for the next guy that comes in here asking how to create patina.

jaw22w and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I had chip seal. 2 1/2 miles of gravel to the nearest paved road.

jaw22w likes this.
  17. only one question/ did you know it was gravel when you decided to move there?

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

After a week or so the extra gravel builds up in easy to pick up piles, FREE gravel if you get there before the town Highway Dept. sweeper. Not that I'd upgrade my walkways or side of the garage parking area.:rolleyes:

19. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes I did Old Wolf. It is trade off. Cheap real estate or good roads. You don't get both around here. I call it my $250,000 road. If this place was on a paved road that would be about the difference.

Old wolf and jaw22w like this.
  20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Around here, we call it tar and slag roads. Actually it’s crushed limestone. Lots of county roads have it, most state roads though are asphalt. In the past few years they have been putting a layer down after they mill the top off of an asphalt road, leave it a week or two, then go back and repave over that with fresh asphalt. They did US 43 for about 4 miles like that a couple of years ago. I had to drive through that mess for a week, they had the slag too thick and the tar they used didn’t hold the slag down in the 98* weather that week, so it was a mess. I still had little bitty rocks in the frame and cross members on my semi truck and trailer weeks later, stuck with the tar that wouldn’t stick to the road. It sure stuck to the steel and aluminum though!

jaw22w likes this.
  21. ...your title for this thread says chip & seal, it'd be real bad if they chip'd first then spread the tar, be glad it's seal then chip!...those roads do get pretty decent to drive on but takes awhile.

jaw22w likes this.
  22. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah that would be a mess. It does make a decent surface eventually, but it will take a month before the loose gravel is gone. It sure as hell doesn't level the surface. It's still rough as a cob.

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New blacktop road paving (not a resurface) is $1,000,000/mile. Single seal or chip seal is about $20,000/mile. They just did a couple roads out here too and last weekend I drove a lovely 47 Cadillac conv over it. Not a mark or mess anywhere. In all fairness it had been down for a week before that. I just drive slow on it even in my dailys. Once done it's good for years and I'll take it over holes and cracks any day.

The37Kid likes this.
  24. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah I will try it in my '26 Coupe with fenders in a few days. Slowly. But the fenderless roadster no way. That tar lets those little rocks hold on just long enough to get over the top of the tire and beat you in the back of the head.

dirty old man and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That is one thing we don't have to deal with around here, chip & seal or gravel roads. Of course, the roads are all worn out and cracked and rutted and filled with pot holes, but no chip & seal. :D

Seriously, the state of disrepair of our roadways is at the epidemic level, horrible, over the entire state. They just raised our gas taxes again to supposedly deal with it, though we all know the money will be swiped for other uses.

j3harleys and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Could be worse, could be concrete with cracks and holes and poured patches that aren’t smooth, with maybe some cold mix asphalt thrown in the smaller holes and beat out. When I used to go to Texas a lot, I hated to go to Houston and Dallas, both had some roads like that. You had to drive 25 mph to keep from knocking the bottom out!

27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No joking, you might be eligible for a portion of the money set aside for victims of mesothelioma. Hope you don't have to take advantage of it.