Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Northstar vrs Yellowbelly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Tx. guys & gals ,Any truth to the rumor that you run a couple 10ths slower at Yellowbelly then Northstar ? Thanks.

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a pretty difficult thing to quantify as most of the tenths to be won and lost are up to you, not the track.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A whole lot of variables when it comes to how quick you run at one track or another. If everyone is off by 2 tenths it doesn't matter much.

Oldioron and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. I know its kind of a dumb question, but read somewhere Yellowbelly is not prepped as good as Northstar. I ran the exact et & mph at both tracks with about the same temps outside, only difference was I spun through 1st at one track & hooked at the other.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I see half a second difference going from some tracks to other tracks...mainly because of the elevation change. Those two tracks are within 100 feet of each other elevation, aren't they? so that would not make a noticeable difference. There are a bunch of other factors, and basing it on just one, or a few, runs at each is not going to tell you a lot.

Mark Yac likes this.
  6. Jim has it covered ,as usual.
    Get yourself a phone app. for altitude and baro. Write those numbers down and compare.
    Also, https://airdensityonline.com/tracks/
    If air is similar, but 60' varies...probably track prep or lack thereof .

7. spanners

spanners

Howl me down if I'm wrong but wouldn't the age of the timing gear make a slight difference? Over here some tracks are using old equipment handed down from ones that have updated. The newer stuff might have less circuitry or more efficient systems. Computers could be different operating systems (sounds like I know what I'm talking about, don't I? I've been told that as far as being a computer genius I make a good truck driver), therefore slightly quicker reading the signals. Are all timing sets calibrated from a common set? One thing, everyone at that track is under the same conditions.

8. You make a good point that I haven't addressed yet.
    If the air's the same and the car spins, but runs the same ET and MPH, then the track has some "happy" clocks, or it's downhill.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Time is time. But measuring a quarter mile exactly, can be difficult!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never ran at Yellowbelly when I lived in Texas but ran a lot at Little River and made a trip or two to Austin.
    I ran consistent 14.25 at little River and 15 something at Austin and figured that was possibly the difference in clocks but it could have been due to other factors. I used to unload everything out of the trunk at Little River and pile it with my buddy's pile of stuff from his trunk and a couple more guys stuff. My then girlfriend now wife used to find a comfortable seat on a couple of spare tires with a pile of blankets thrown on them. At Austin she sat in the stands while I raced and I left everything in the trunk.

11. Ah, yes. Another possibility. Seen that too.. :(Senior moment