Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hydraulic Clutch

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ramjet 80, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ramjet 80

ramjet 80

Does any one know of a company that makes a hydraulic
    throughout bearing kit for a 1940 to 1948 Ford three speed transmission or what combination of master cylinder /slave cylinder will operate the early Ford clutch release cross shaft

2. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a square body Chevy truck slave cylinder on mine. Sorry I can't do pictures about 50 bucks.

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used both a McLeod brand and a Hayes brand for hydraulic throwout bearings. A Wilwood clutch master cylinder and you're about ready to go.

4. ramjet 80

ramjet 80

I gave up on hydraulics and went to mechanical linkage. It works !!!

Johnny Gee likes this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

McCleod is going to leak...maybe not the first day ... give it a little time, like a week. We use a Ram..it can sit for 6 months.
    I’m with coupe33 a slave on the stock arm is a better idea if your going to hydraulic.

6. nigg1

nigg1

Do you have any dimensions on the McLeod brand hydraulics throwout bearings? Any part number you ordered? Thanx for some infos.

7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I don't know what transmission you are going to use so a part number from me is not going to help.

I'd advise you to go to the various company websites (Ram, McLeod, Hayes, etc.) and use their tech lines for help with your questions.

8. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I know the original poster solved this problem going the mechanical linkage way. I just wanted to post that a 1957 ford truck 1" dia master cylinder paired with a 1955 MGA salve cylinder 1-1/4" dia) works on a flathead three speed were there is a lack of mechanical advantage due to not having a "fork" under the throw out bearing. You can use the front flex brake line from a 39-48 ford as an adapter to get from the 7/16-24 on the hard line to the 7/16-20 on the slave cylinder. If you look for my postings I took pictures of it.

9. An easy alternative.
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.25.04 PM.png

10. That cable linkage looks simple and easy. I'm using a Mazda pickup master and slave on my '38 Ford with a small block Chevy and T-5 using the same Chevy bellhousing shown in the picture above with the cable linkage. What I have works well now, but I could be tempted to change to the cable setup the next time the slave cylinder goes out.

11. FordMercMan

FordMercMan

Do you know the origin of the cable or part number or where to get one? Seems to be a nice solution.
    The brackets look like they can be easily fabricated.

12. It's a modified (shortened with different ends) 5.0 Foxbody Mustang part. I purchased it already modified from Roy Brizio Street Rods in San Francisco. When I bought it 10+ years ago it was between $60 and $80.

13. Yeah now I'm pissed, because of all the hours I've wasted on clutch linkage lmao! That a great setup!

D-Russ likes this.