Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ashamed of your disc brakes? This might be a solution.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Utahvette, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Unsprung weight , since it’s usually expressed in a ratio, isn’t that big of a deal up front. Adding unsprung weight in the rear hurts much worse.

Have you guys ever seen a brake drum? Just wondering
    It’s not very thick, doubt at all it requires longer studs, and since he cut the heavy part off it can’t weigh very much either

2. This is all part of the silly Cosplay element here. Form follows fashion. Maybe on customs it works. But hot rods must eschew unnecessary complexity. The idea that discs are ugly while drums are pretty is some damned far reaching fashion sense. The OP's car is just about the perfect candidate for a brake upgrade. If any car needs it, it's an early fifties Chevy.
    Brakes as fashion statements, you guys crack me up.

Blues4U and Early Ironman like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last 10 trucks out of out R&D facility were disc, in all six-positions. That was just today.

Bandit Billy and Early Ironman like this.
  4. I get what the OP is trying to accomplish but I’m not a traditional purist. I like upgrades like disc brakes. Drilled and slotted rotors look better but just clean and painted parts are enough for me.

5. I'm shocked to see how many people think this is a good idea. This is diluting the HAMB with stupidity. If you're embarrassed by the disc brake conversion on your early Chevy, just put an ad in the classifieds for the old drum set up. You'll probably find them for free. This is pure Olds valve covers on a SBC, rolled up sock in your pants to look like you have big dick, bullshit. Don't get pissy, I'm just "Spreading the Gospel..." to you hoodlums. Dig this, I AM of the era of rod rodding. I know what's up. This ain't. Let's go back to Form Follows Function.
    Of course, if you're building a custom, I guess you can hang stuff on it. Low & Slow, right?

6. TrapStar

TrapStar

Dick brakes ain't Traditional neither are 400+ HP Engines if a car has these how can it be called a Traditional hot rod?

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Phil, Bluto is smiling over that statement.

Bob

8. Well you could just run the good old fashioned steel wheels, drive slower or make your horn louder right.?;):eek:
    Me I still run drums & 6 volts & bias ply tires.

RDR likes this.
  9. indyjps

indyjps

Cool idea. Looks good, agree on balancing if you can.

These hide disc brakes pretty well too. :D
    20190728_163355.jpg

10. No reason to fake brakes.

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If you're building a custom right you won't be able to see the rear wheels, either.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wait...what? You try going on an away mission with no luggage, where the hell...do you keep... your extra hosiery?
    upload_2019-7-29_15-42-47.png

13. I guess codpiece armor is out now too

hotrodA and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. dust shields........?

15. oh....and I'm the guy that checks out the rear as well as a look under the front as an old street racer......

16. I do that too,,,,
    :p She enjoys getting the chassis inspected

17. the sock thing works best when placed into the FRONT of the pants.

18. silent rick

silent rick

ashamed of your small bock? try these hemi valve covers. they fit over your existing covers. nobody will know.

19. Kinda like a boob job right ?

nunattax likes this.
  20. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, boy, that does explain a lot. Now it is beginning to make sense.

21. I'm with the corvette hubcap guy, steel wheels are for cars Mags are for guns.

dirty old man likes this.