Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Leaf Spring Bushings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegearhead, Jul 29, 2019.

1. thegearhead

thegearhead

My 50 Crosley project i'm building installed a set speedway motors leaf springs/shackles/hangers and they came with the black nylon bushings. Now these are a 1-3/4 wide springs and the front is also the same but the eye I.D is 11/16 and i'm having a hard time finding a Hat bushing to fit them.
    Any ideas to a place that sell's a good variety of bushings? Prob i'm having is it's a odd side 11/16" O.D x 1/2"I.D width is 3/4" with a flange 1/8" thick

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hello. Check with a local spring/suspension shop, Kantor Brothers, Google , suspension web sites , maybe some web sites across the pond.

3. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

You might check with Eaton Detroit Spring Co...Springs are there only products...

4. squirrel

squirrel

Is the problem that the bushings are too large to fit into the spring eye?

If so, it's time you bought a lathe....

bobss396 likes this.

5. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

These aren't poly but they are the right size (and slightly shorter) if I read your post correctly.

upload_2019-7-29_8-43-56.png

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might have a lot better luck if you search for flange bearing rather than hat bearing.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to switch to my phone. Why do you think you need a flange bearing? Side clearance issue or? Most of the bronze flange bearings I am finding are oillite bushings that would be a bit brittle for suspension. If you can use something like Delrin see if there is a Redwood Plastics near you. Or a job shop machine shop can make them but they will be expensive.

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Speedway has bushings that are 3/4x2x1/2. Thats a1/16 larger bushing.If you dont have a lath figure out how to chuck one up in a power drill,and run a file,or sand paper against it until its reduced.Cut to correct length.

10. thegearhead

thegearhead

Local spring shop either has the rubber bushings or the thin trailer bushing type.
    The spring eye is 11/16 and bolt it 1/2 so the bushing thickness would be 3/32. And with out a flange bushing wouldn't it wear the shackle over time?

11. squirrel

squirrel

the only reason I mentioned a lathe, is that I had the same exact issue, and I just put the bushings in my lathe and turned them down to size.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've worked on an untold number of leaf spring suspensions including my trailer right now and unless the shackle doesn't fit right to begin with I have never seen the spring or bushing wear into one. Misalignmentor mismatched parts are normally what might cause the shackle to wear on the side. Think those old high rise shackles that the guys used to run in the 70's and you still see on old Mustangs or camaros belong to some guy with mullet once in a while.

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If you are talking about Crosley springs then check with Yankee Crosley Parts in CT or Service Motors in NV..Send me a pm on what you are building..

14. thegearhead

thegearhead

My neighbor i believe has a lathe i'll have to see if he could turn them. Or i guess i could buy a piece of nylon rod and maybe he could turn them. The front springs are actually 1-3/4 trailer springs as the original Crosley springs would'nt hold the weight of the drive-train swap.