Register now to get rid of these ads!

edelbrock aluminum heads/SBC BLOCK HUGGERS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54FISH, Jun 13, 2013.

1. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello , anyone use edelbrock e street series aluminum heads (part#5089) on a sbc 350. They have straight plugs & i'm trying to get "tight " block hugger headers. Sanderson says they need to be "dinged" to fit . Really don't want dinged headers . From plug tip to plug tip measures 4" . Anyone know of bolt on's to clear these plugs?

2. Patriot makes about 5 different block headers that work with straight plugs. PM me if you need info directly on dimensions etc.

3. aaggie

aaggie

Accell and others make short spark plugs that might get you enough clearance.

Deuces likes this.
  4. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks , i am running shorty accel plugs , according to sanderson , the plugs need to be 4 1/2" spread from tip to tip . My edelbrock 5089 aluminum heads are 4" . Sanderson says the headers need to be dinged or modified .just what do you do , keep returning & returning , edelbrock couldn't even recommend headers to fit those heads? So....

5. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

tubular , preferably with ceramic coating . going in a 54' belair with 350 /700r4 , tci MII . Had sandersons for stock steering box / stock suspension. Went the MII , ididit way . now those headers don't fit .Need " tight " fit block huggers ,which will fit edelbrock aluminum (#5089) heads with short straight header plugs. The engine is on Walton engine & trans mounts , just real tight on sides of engine.

6. jeffbr33

jeffbr33
    from norwich,ct

I have those heads on a sbc with sanderson headers and have no problems at all

7. Just sent you a PM with what we found with Patriot Headers and those heads. We went and got a head from Edelbrock just to test the fitment for you :D

8. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well thanks for all the help , i ordered the patriot h8065 block hugger , comes in raw steel . After i talked to my powder coating guy , he recommended getting raw header , fit to engine , can make room for header boot if needed , then do break in of engine , get temp up on headers , when done , he can ceramic coat them , this is the procedure he recommends . Cheaper to buy them already coated ,but to be sure of fitting , best way to go . But again thanks again , really appreciate the help!!

9. FlatheadPat

FlatheadPat

This is an old post, but I'm running into the same problems. SBC in a '30 chevy. Just switched to Edelbrock E210 aluminum heads center two plugs on each side do not clear the headers with shorty plugs. I looked at the Patriot H8065 header and it looks like they give more room. Can anyone comment on this further? 54FISH how did this all work out for you?