Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tube notching

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage44, Jul 18, 2019.

1. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Guys, a long time ago I seem to remember (I think) a chart of some kind giving the angles to use a chopsaw to notch tubing if you didn't have access to an actual notcher. Does anybody else remember this and maybe have a copy of the chart to post? Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

stolen from the internets:

Just use a chop/bandsaw. I didn't invent this method, I found it on pirate4x4.com. It works great though and it's a lot faster the using the hole saw notchers. Here's the info:

"The chop saw method,if understood , is a science. With known tube size and joint angle, tube can be notched with great accuracy. The notch is acheved by cutting two opposing angles on one end of a peice of tube, to form a point. The cross-section of this cut will be an elipitical cut due to the shape of the tube. Changes in boath of the two angled cuts must be made for the intersection angle and the size of the two tubes being joined. The only real limitation is the max angle of the chop saw.

You start with what I call the base angle. This is the angle of boath cuts if the joint was 90*. For an example, I am fitting Two tubes together that are boath 1.75", at an 90* joint. The base angle, or the angle of boath cuts is 28*. These two cuts must meet at a point, and the point must allso be centered on the tube.

What if I want an 15* joint with my 1.75" tube???? You must start with your base angle, witch was 28* for 1.75"(remember above), and subtract 15* from one cut, and add 15* to the other cut to form a perfect notch. So now I must make a 13* cut and an 43* cut , with the point centered on the tube. Perfect coped joint, with no grinding.

Remember your base angle will change with the tube being cut and the tube that you are fitting to.

Here are a few examples of base angles...

2.0" to 2.0" tube, base angle of 30*

1.75" to 1.75" tube, base angle of 28*

1.5" to 1.5" tube, base angle of 26*

1.25" to 1.25" tube, base angle of 22.5*

1" to 1" tube, Base angle of 20*

Now to fit diffrent size tubes together

1.75" to 2" tube, base angle of 25*

1.75" to 1.25" tube, base angle of 45*

1.25" to 1.75 tube, base angle of 20*

1" to 2" tube, base angle of 12* "

alanp561 likes this.
  3. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Squirrel! You come through for me AGAIN! Much thanks! (and stay cool this weekend, my friend!)