Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 mercury 312 y-block questions.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Craig Christian, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

And all these readings are after bringing it up to operating temp and letting it idle for around 45 minutes

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The question is whether there was a problem to begin with. Was it overheating? My Shop manual sez thermostat "opens at .... 185° - 192° F. fully open at 210° - 212° F."

I ran a 180° for a while and the heater output was not nearly as good in cold weather, a 195° is closer to OEM spec. Seems to run better.

3. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

Headed out for a drive to see how she does on the road......... I'll let you know what happens.......

4. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

It wasn't actually overheating...... just running hotter than I would like it to...... I dont run it when it's to cold outside so the heater isn't a major issue for me.....

Truck64 likes this.
  5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Right, but it seems to me the engineers designed it to run at that temperature, why try to outguess them?