Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Selling a car at NSRA Louisville and other meets.......Any tips??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Most of the cars for sale in Louisville have the stigma attached to them that they are overpriced. To springboard off what the others have said here, if it is priced fairly, and you have had the car for a while and not a person who is there to flip a car for a profit should get a buyers attention.
    I would put the car in the swap meet if I was really wanting to sell it. Anyone with money will more than likely go there first
    If you decide to not put it in the swap meet, and take the car off the grounds every night make sure you park it as close to the same place as you can the next day. Two years ago my wife was hot on a 59 Olds wagon. She saw it on Friday afternoon but no one was around the car. Later that same day it was gone. She went on a mission to find that car Saturday morning and guess what, it was in almost the same spot as the day before. (we wound up buying the car).

The only other thing I can think of is to be 100% honest about the car. If it has hidden flaws or quirks about it, wait and talk about those after you have someone really interested. talking about those things beforehand can run a good potential buyer away. Just make sure said items are fully disclosed before the sale.

47ragtop and jim snow like this.
  2. Correct.
    Printed bill of sale with both names and VIN, Notarized.
    Both names on back of title, Notarized.
    Flippers want the title left "open". Cost some guys some heavy fines in Pigeon Forge for State sales tax evasion.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Big sign in the windshield, with a reasonable price on it, and your phone number. Put another in the side window listing all the details of the car. If possible, park in the same high profile spot each day.
    I always have my eye open for cars that are for sale. If there is no price listed, I keep on walking because it's not worth my time to deal with someone who wants to play games.
    Have a good flashlight and a towel or blanket handy for any serious sounding buyers to use to lay on the ground and look at the underside.
    Have a ride home lined up in case the buyer wants to take it that day.
    Know where the closest major banks are to the fairgrounds so monies can be exchanged in there, electronically if possible.

jim snow and j3harleys like this.
  4. I was just looking at the swap meet app and rules. The way I read it, it says you cannot put a car in the swap meet and also move it to the grounds.
    WTF? If I have a separate registration for the car to be on the fairgrounds, why not.??
    It's ALL about the $$$, Vernon! Time for a phone call to Memphis.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Just reading the thread one thing I don't do is let somebody pay and hand them the title and say adios.
    Burned once by that. Don't care if your from BF Egypt and don't want to come back.
    If a buyer drives the car back to wherever they are from and has any kind of incident the car is still legally in your name. Your responsible. You can have the corner of the title with his name on it,a bill of sale,etc etc but if anything happens before the buyer gets home and transfers the title you may get out of it but it's going to be a headache.
    In my case the title wasn't transferred and $600 worth of tickets and vehicle impoundment. Tickets were dismissed after I had to take a day off,go to court and show the corner of the title I kept proving the creep I sold the car to had signed it.
    The impound lot didn't care about that. I was still the legal owner and I was on the hook for the bill.
    Trust no one and cover your ass.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are people walking through the swap meet who are potential buyers....I once bought a car there. But, I think there a ton of people who do NOT go through the swap meet area even if they are consciously looking for a car. My observation over many years of attendance is that most cars in the swap meet area are project cars either extremely or partially.

I am certain there are people on the grounds looking at cars that may not have really admitted to themselves they are potential buyers until they stumble across 'The One'. Then, it's game on. I also endorse the idea stated by others that you should endeavor to park as close to the same place each day. People some time need to 'sleep on it' when they get interested but before they approach the seller.

Ray

47ragtop, i.rant, j3harleys and 2 others like this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In general terms I agree with your position, but think you have overstated the risk of a properly documented sale. If the seller uses a Bill of Sale, thoroughly describing both the buyer and seller by name and address, and of course a thorough description on the vehicle, including Sold As Is with No Warranty Expressed or Implied, and signed by both parties....AND...if he received cash or wire transferred funds, the title is also filled out completely with both buyer and seller's info, and copies of both are retained by seller, his risk is quite low. Further, I would not be too hasty to drop my insurance , at least until a few days have passed, as another act toward an abundance of caution.

@hotrodA All these are reasonable requirements of the buyer by the seller. Just don't let yourself be persuaded to skip a step because of some flimsy excuse. Be thorough and you will not regret it.

Ray

8. j3harleys

j3harleys

I never go to the swap meet area but that's just me, But everybody goes to the show. I do go to the Car corral if they have one. I have a bad habit of being an impulse buyer, If there is no price or over priced I don't waste my time, They are probably fishing.

jim snow likes this.
  9. kb cookout

kb cookout

I was just looking at the swap meet app and rules. The way I read it, it says you cannot put a car in the swap meet and also move it to the grounds.
    WTF? If I have a separate registration for the car to be on the fairgrounds, why not.??
    It's ALL about the $$$, Vernon! Time for a phone call to Memphis.

You just need to have both stickers on the windshield for the Swap meet and Car show

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just my opinion, if I want to sell a car its in the show. Swap meets normally have more projects then completed cars for sale.

Hnstray and j3harleys like this.
  11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I agree with everything you stated. You added the frills and dressing to my post. The jist of my post is that until that title is transferred the seller is still liable for the vehicle.All the paperwork will help get the seller off the hook BUT there will be the hassle of dealing with it

Hnstray likes this.
  12. More good stuff! Thanks!

13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

When you go to the show, you have to realize that there are "areas" within the show. Obviously you can't put your car in all of them, so you have to pick one. On the east side of the main building there is a grassy area, and generally (in my opinion) the cars in that area are a little more "grass roots" oriented. It has a fence around it, so people funnel through gates. Parking near a gate might prove helpful.
    Just North of the grassy area is the swap meet. A little looking might provide a spot on the road near the swap meet and the back entrance to the building.
    Going to the West side of the building there is a road . Parking on that road and as near to the main entrance as possible would probably provide the most pedestrian traffic near the vehicle. The trick is getting a good spot. I know some people actually arrive a day before the event, when set up is going on. They park their car and leave it in a desirable spot for the duration of the show and catch a ride in and out with a friend. Just be sure you have a good way to disable the vehicle. Don't think you have to worry about anyone using a trailer or wrecker inside the fairgrounds.

jim snow likes this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd recommend parking to the west of the south exhibit hall on the concrete. You get more foot traffic then a grass field especially if it rains.

15. Lots to chew on. Thanks for the help!

16. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Good info. Thanks to all, especially hotrodA for starting this post. I'll also have my Roadster for sale in L'ville. I've not had any luck & it's been for sale over a year. I'm 77 & arthritis is making it hard to drive & shift my roadster. Guess they're not worth what they were a few years ago. Time for it to go. See U all in L'ville!!

10460958_10153275088859839_6259357101818759420_n.jpg

17. Please park your beautiful roadster far away from my old pile-o-parts. It will look even worse.:eek::D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Believe it of not..List it on ....Facebook....Marketplace. Cost nothing. goes world wide. I just sold a Restored 57 Chevy Convertible on there in 5 days .

kidcampbell71 and 47ragtop like this.
  19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Did you fill out and submit a NRL? In CA it's the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability form. It was always done via hard copy submitted to CA DMV, but now can be done online which is instantaneous.
    Quite simply, you fill out the form with plate, VIN and buyers info. Once that's done, you're free of any tickets, fines, etc. regarding the vehicle going forward. Even though the new owner has a certain amount of days to register the new vehicle in their name, once the NRL is submitted, they'll be on the hook for any infractions. Otherwise a new owner could hold off on registration while they rack up parking tickets, etc.
    Your copy of the bill of sale (signed by the buyer) should have the date and time of sale to back up the NRL.

Hnstray likes this.
  20. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

How about advertising it HERE, with pics and price on THIS thread? Don't want to make it too easy I guess... hmmmm let me go search the Hamb classifieds... geez

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Signs and fliers are nice but not enough. Build yourself a nice sale post here on the HAMB. Great description and tons of pictures. Everything you can think of about the car, documentation, receipts, appraisal, you get the idea. Then you make a QR Code. You know, one of these gizmos
    upload_2019-7-18_21-32-55.png
    here is a link on how to make one for free
    https://www.qr-code-generator.com/a...&utm_term=qr code&utm_content=QR Code | exact
    Then you make up a few QR codes on stickers and slap them on the car with a "scan this for information". Anyone under the age of 60 has a QR code reader downloaded on their smart phone, the rest can learn. You scan the code and instantly you are magically transported to all that information you loaded in your ad on the HAMB. Got a build thread? Make one for that too.

BTW, I have no idea what that QR is for I posted so don't scan it!

22. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I've used Facebook Market Place and Craigslist to sell a lot of stuff over the last few ears including all my project cars. Some sold in less than 24 hours, some took longer. I have better luck on Craigslist.

My biggest piece of advise? Answer your phone, email, private messages, etc. that you give out for ways of getting a hold of you. I've been trying to buy a '55 Chevy 2 door sedan and I'm amazed how many people will post an ad then not answer their phone, return an email or message, etc. It's insane!

I usually don't go to the swap meet at big shows. Everything seems way overpriced and I quit wasting my time there years ago. I spend all my time walking the grounds. I would park the car in prominent places and put a sign in both side windows or the windshield and from the back somehow. Let them see it's for sale no matter what side they walk past. Nothing big, just something to get them your number.

Good luck with your sale,
    SPark

23. Added the link to the first post.
    Thanks!

24. @Bandit Billy

A QR code?!! For all the smart hipsters.:D. I've never used one :oops:. GENIUS!!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I down loaded my first QR code reader app while attending BJ in Scottsdale many years ago. It is how things are done there. All the cars in the tent that are sold have a QR code on the headlight, scan it and you get the wining sales price, the ad for the car, all the documentation and so on. Without it you know absolutely nothing. This is the information age, and this one way we can use it to our advantage.

47ragtop likes this.