Register now to get rid of these ads!

Machining, welding, sandblasting and general old car repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1ton, Jul 12, 2019.

1. 1ton

1ton

1ton here. I'm basically retired from punching a clock but I'm not done working. I'm in North Aurora, Il. I'm here to help you with you projects basically to keep busy and make a little money along the way. I am very reasonable with my fees because I take a lot of pride in what I do and enjoy doing it. Need help with something? Try me. If I can't get it done, I can steer you towards someone who can.

2. Hattrick2

Hattrick2

Hi 1 ton I am in stcharles IL I am starting to work on 1952 Chevy pick up right now I am looking for a Chevy 261 block do you know of any

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 1ton

1ton

Sorry no, but I'll keep my eyes open.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There always seems to be someone who needs welding done or other tasks that are simple for the guy who has those particular skills but cannot do it himself.

My best friend the guy I refer to as my big brother had to have a pacemaker put in a few years ago and can't weld anymore. I'd imagine that there are a number of others like him who have the shop the tools, the welders and what not but can't perform certain tasks now that they used to do all the time due to one reason or another.

5. 1ton

1ton

Hey guys, When I put this info in the Hambodex, I did not realize that it would end up being in general discussion. I'm not sure that it should be here. While I don't mind the exposure this may bring, my intentions were for members to PM me or email me directly and not clog up useful discussion space here on the Hamb. In the future, I encourage you to contact me directly.

6. flatford39

flatford39

Can you do drive shaft work. I already measured and left cutting marks. All I need is someone to cut it & weld it together. The drive shaft is from 37 Ford. You would need to cut the torque tube as well as the drive shaft and assure me you can weld it back together true and straight.

I live in St. Charles and was going to drop it off tomorrow AM at Midwest Driveshaft in St. Charles. Let me know tonight if you are capable of doing this work.

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

A little advice after doing exactly what you are trying to do. Friends are friends, but business is business. don't do anything for free or you will do everything for free.
    Set a set time you are available or you will get some people that just have to call you at 7am on sunday morning or midnight . Don't ever buy parts with your money or you will holding your hand over your ass when some body says I can't pay you for a few weeks.
    Set a shop rate and stick to it. So called friends are just freeloaders looking to get something done for free. Good luck,have fun and you will meet some really great people .

8. 1ton

1ton

Personally I would take that to Midwest. They do good work and can balance the assembly when done

9. 1ton

1ton

You are so right. Back when my machine shop was opened I had friends that would stop by with a "sidejob" for me. I had to explain, many times, that this is how I make a living. Electricity is never free. Though I may have given some breaks on the shop rate at times, there was always a charge. I'm willing to help anybody out for free, but when I have to turn on a machine tool or welder you should expect a bill for the work. It always cracked me up when I would get a request to repair something, when you could buy it new for less. I recently welded something for a friend, took me ten minutes. I charged him ten bucks. So my shop rate is a dollar a minute.

10. flatford39

flatford39

Thank you for your honesty. I will keep you in mind for other tasks. Are you working out of your home or do you have a building???

Send me a PM or respond to mine with your contact info.

Thanks again.