Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are you doing to get ready for GLORY DAYS vintage drags at Byron Dragway?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocketsled59, Jan 2, 2019.

1. bobw

bobw

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

Hopefully, Dad & I are gonna be there with the HeMi Valiant & the RoaD OiLer... FB_IMG_1534514431600.jpeg 0519191746a.jpeg

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Little over a week away now, and I’m looking forward to going to this as a spectator. Hope it’s as fun as the Meltdown was. Not much chatter going on, so I figured I’d give it a bump.

4. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

How has the turnout been for this event the last couple years. I haven’t been to this event since the first couple years. Is the swap area decent and show cars.
    Thinking about going again next Friday.
    Is one day better than the other.

6. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Going to pick up some fiberglass fenders at Iola for Salty tomorrow , then start packing stuff for the swap meet at Glory Days :rolleyes:

7. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I’m scrambling to get rear suspension in the falcon in time to go. Hotdog is bringing the comet. We both made improvements to our cars and they’ve both slowed down as a result. Exposing new problems. Planning to be there Slow and steady​

8. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Big swap and show area. Turnout was massive. Unsure what to expect this year. If there’s any buzz action going on we must be on the wrong thread!!

9. ...Friday is a great day, Sat is the big day but has more people, Swapmeet is good both days, good racing both days if weather cooperates...Sunday 1/2 race cars are gone, and almost all of the swappers....but still enjoyable if you can only go Sunday.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Norb, you are the man. Cain't thank you enough. Hang them on the wall just short of your front fenders.

11. The car is ready. The trailer is re stocked with nitro; oil; plugs etc. We replaced the 20 amp mag with a 44 amp. The car sounds completely different now that its lighting all the fuel.

12. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

^^^ Me likey nitro

loudbang likes this.
  13. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

I'm going to have to miss it this year. My mom passed away Wednesday and the funeral will be on the 20th.

14. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

^^^ My condolences.

loudbang likes this.
  15. vitamindart

vitamindart

been looking forward to this since it was announced. even my wife is stoked to be going!

16. Bill I'm sorry to hear that. There will be another race. Family comes first.

17. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

My oldest brother Larry fired up his 59 Impala for the first time, last Wednesday. Hopefully, it's be finished in time.

However, the last that I heard it was missing the hood, trunk lid, and passenger door. These are still at the body shop waiting to be reinstalled. He has the car at home, to get everything else finished up.

Don't have a recent photo, so this will have to do. Yes, the wide whites, stock caps, 283 and PowerGlide are gone. They've been replaced with Towel City cheaters, 5 spoke Americans, 406 small block and Muncie 4 speed. In addition, an early 1960's Ford Big Job truck hood scoop has been installed.

New 59 A.jpg

He's trying to replicate the 59 that he raced in the mid - 1960's. It had a 283 bored to 301, fuelly heads, Isky 550 Super LeGerra, cam, dual quads, and a T-10 four speed.
    scan0002.jpg scan0011.jpg

18. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

[​IMG]
    We still have some tuning to do on my daughters contraption.Move the air intake, and setup a rear gear and swap it out. Changed the motor and transmission on my boys ranchero. We want to make a hood scoop for it and he wants to add some temporary lettering. And I haven’t touched my model A since outa sight. So we will be working right up until Wednesday as usual. We should make it with all 3 but not counting on them running perfect

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. pmdguy

pmdguy

I got a few shakedown passes on the wagon, got a few bugs to work out but should be ready and plan on rollin into Byron early afternoon Friday.

Attached Files:

20. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Oh yeah that 44 amp mag is a bad mofo. Weld with it. Buddy’s ran one on their Donovan 417. Wicked piece of equipment

21. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Sorry for your loss

loudbang likes this.
  22. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Anyone know the car count is up to? Site says Registration is still open, Jay registered the Falcon on
    Friday and hopefully should hear back with a number before Thursday. :rolleyes: He just put in a healthy pump gas 427 sbf , it will be interesting to see what number it runs out of the box. 1st 20 gld 3.JPG

23. pmdguy

pmdguy

Nitro Pontiac, sorry to here about your Mom, I went through that myself a few years back. God bless, see ya at the next one!

24. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Sorry to hear about your mother. I lost mine 20 years ago last month. All we can do is pray that we get to see them again someday.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. jailbird

jailbird

They let me in (However) I don't think im going to make it
    still I need stupid stuff im getting one cylinder #7 about 110 on compression gauge the rest were 120ish
    on this 327 which as 11.25 pistons and 64cc double humps cam is on 106 centerlobes maybe it needs 12.1 slugs
    now my hood latch wont latch guess im going to cancel out on taking the 57 if some one else needs a spot you can have mine.

26. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

Thank you. I'll be at the next one.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Ten lbs difference is nothing. Put a little oil in the cylinder. Most likely will come right back. You still have a few days.

28. Looks like it's going to be a hot one again. Bring lots of water. I'm bringing a fan to help stay cool.

29. jailbird

jailbird

we will see what happens

loudbang likes this.
  30. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here's a couple of new photos of my brother 's 59. It's been fired up, and is getting the bugs worked out. Still needs to get the cheater slicks mounted, and some stainless trim pieces reinstalled. The front end needs to be aligned, as well.

7-15-19 59A.jpg 7-15-19 59F.jpg