Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Very thankful for the internet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Jul 12, 2019.

1. As I toil away on my current Jalopy rebuild of a 1940 Ford coupe...it almost never fails...every night I work on it I end up at the end of the work session sitting at my PC buying parts...I don't know how you guys did it before the internet existed....the junkyards are all gone now so it is Ebay, Amazon, Rock Auto, Dennis Carpenter, etc. or in my case most recently, it is Toms Bronco internet store for 9" Ford rear end brake parts...I do miss walking around in junkyards as much as the next guy but sitting in my house ordering parts and waiting for the "brown clown" to show up is not too bad either...

Yes, the good old days are gone but this way is not all that bad either...

Thanks for listening

MikeC

scotty t, jnaki, Jalopy Joker and 2 others like this.
  2. The beauty of places like Dennis Carpenter is you can get most of the rubber that in the past wasn't avalible but you made do with what you could find, I remember using hall runner rubber from Lowes to cover my running boards on a 1940 sedan, they didn't look as good as the vulcanized boards but for around 20 dollars verses over a grand I was able to make it work. HRP

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, the way of the world now - but, I still go to the few local swaps and some estate sales to find stuff that I never knew I needed until I saw it

King ford and Texas Webb like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We used to find an add in a magazine and send off a check or money order to a company for the parts. Some times it took a month before they got your order and check, the check cleared and you received the parts. I ordered some pieces for my T bucket from an outfit since gone and had to wait an extra month because one guy in the shop made the parts and he was gone on a month long vacation.
    A friend of mine in Zillah wa placed a big in Hemmings every month and sold a ton of Mostly Mercuryy parts over the phone or by regular mail.
    In Texas in the early 70's wrecking yard runs were a group effort a lot of the time and we would load in the truck and off we would go.

5. I remember those days from the 60's.

6. leon bee

leon bee

Yeah, you'd go down to the news stand and look at all the magazines. Not enough money to buy them all, so you'd write down info while the clerk gave you dirty looks. Cars and Parts was a pretty good mag. Then, if you had a phone, start making calls. Once my phone bill was as much as I spent for the nailhead valves I found in Snohomish WA.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank God for Al Gore!

catdad49, King ford and TagMan like this.
  8. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

Hello hambers
    You american People just can't imagine
    What a pain in the ass is to play with your old cars.
    Before internet was alive just a few guys
    Had enough money to fly in your country
    And buy the car they dream for long time
    Now we are 21th century
    Internet made the world a small town
    Hopefuly i am fine with that
    If i need parts for my 1956 olds i Just have to run my pc ; have a look on fusick. Com
    And i can find all i need.
    Found the hamb forum when i was looking for a fresh rebuilt 324 rocket engine.
    Found my dream engine from @paul55 here on hamb.
    So yes i am very thankfull for the internet Who made my dream came true. .
    DSC03146.JPG

9. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are wonderful times we live in!
    Ah yes the "good old days" of magazine ads , snail mail , money orders , waiting and waiting.....ugh!
    As nice as it is to have almost instant gratification getting things, the information available now through the inter web pipes is unbelievable ( literally sometimes) I have learned so much just from this site ,let alone all the other search avenues available.
    Wonderful times indeed!

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

klleetrucking likes this.
  11. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Yep!....used to fill out paper order forms then go to the post office for a money order!

12. 2935ford

2935ford

Folks, the Good ol Days are right now! :)

Texas Webb likes this.
  13. Being in a different hemisphere was fun, too. I was doing a Caddy seat in original material, I had to send off a small sample of the old stuff to the U.S, they sent back a letter with the part no, etc, I sent another letter with an international cheque, 6 months later I get the roll of material (by ship). Since having the interwebs, I have bought (& paid for over the net) a couple of cars, and many $$$$ worth of parts. But I still have more fun going to swap meets and junk yards.

14. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Yep it's funny because I remember a time when you could find the cars but not the parts. Now I find all the parts but find the cars are getting harder to find.