Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Camshaft ID help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jul 8, 2019.

1. squirrel

squirrel

2. I saw that,
    The second set of numbers doesn’t match that post.
    The first 115888 comes up for all kind of different cams with different numbers for second set.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019

3. squirrel

squirrel

Then it's probably going to continue to be a mystery?

sorry

4. Fordors

Fordors

Maybe check the lift and see if it corresponds to the 7102 Edelbrock, or maybe one of their other offerings.

Deuces likes this.
  5. Well,,,
    You can count on this,,
    If I’m needing help, it’s because it ain’t easy lol

I get all the weird shit to solve here.
    Keeps me on my toes I guess.

XXL__ and Deuces like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

interesting how the numbers in the Cam Manuf Co catalog don't match this one...but they're close. I expect there are a lot of cams ground off that 115888 core, and they're all probably close to that Edelbrock 7102 cam.

cnc.jpg

7. Am I missing the 115888?

8. Fordors

Fordors

You had a double post for the initial topic and it got a response putting it at the top of the page.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  9. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

You could try roughing it in with a couple of "V" blocks, a BIG degree wheel, and a dial indicator with 1" of travel. Most cams were measured from 0.050 lift but not all. What you can get is total lift and a 0.050 to 0.050 duration reading. Degree wheel won't have to be indexed because you're just getting empirical readings. Probably won't identify cam but it will tell what it's NOT and also give some readings to carry to a chart.

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. Man I was hoping someone would have the info,,,, because I tried to find it myself,,,
    It’s got a lot more valve lift that the Edelbrock performer 7102 cam.

11. Deuces

Deuces

That's what's called "finger printing" a cam.... I prefer the cam in block method with 2 lifters, a mag base with a good 1" travel indicator and my trusty 16" diameter degree wheel.... POW101600_600_6.jpg

31Vicky with a hemi and Truck64 like this.
  12. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Easy downloaded, printable degree wheel,.... then just glue it to anything round and flat stout enough to have a center hole or cam bolt pottern punched or drilled in it...foil pie plate, cheap pizza pan or pie tin or baking sheet, a cheap plastic dinner plate from WallyWorld, , lid off an old 5 gallon drywall mud bucket, whatever you can come up with.

Then degree it right in the block you took it out of.

http://www.tavia.com/free_degree_wheel.html

Most cams won't have any numbers stamped into them that will help you, as the stamping is nearly always done before the cam is hardened and ground, and with one blank being used to make a couple dozen or more different cam grinds you are SOL.
    The only numbers that will typically mean anything will be engraved, laser etched, or acid etched onto one end.

13. That pic was in first post.
    Not sure why it left but I put it there again.

14. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

That is stamped...pinstamped, to be more exact, by a machine that works a lot like a bubble jet printer.
    That was done before the blank was hardened, so long before it was actually ground.
    That is info to I.D.the blank, and a serial number for tracking the manufacturing process.

Sorry, not actual grind information..

Again, degree wheel removes all doubts to what it is.....

15. David Plymouth dodge

David Plymouth dodge
    from Australia

Hi all I picked up a Plymouth out of Canada a couple of years ago with a sbc in it and I am also trying to identify the cam if any one can help. The numbers on the back are 930319. And 240 thanks if you can