Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model B water pumps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by richydab, Jun 14, 2006.

1. richydab

richydab
    from UK

Help guys!

I put up a post a month or so back about wanting to buy a water pump for my '32 B. I want to buy one from Mac's but I want to be sure the one they list as B-8501 is the kiddy - someone helpfully came back but I can't find the post....

Please help as I want to take it to the Ace Cafe Hot Rod night in July, and as it's a 450-miles round trip I don't want to go with the existing, leaking pump!

Cheers and pip pip

Rich

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I don't have any catalogs here at work, but that should be the right one. The wrong one, the short model for '33-4 bangers with slanted radiators, should have a 46- prefix I think.
    Long one is generally the same as A except for the actual casting and a bigger impeller--you can rebuild using Model A stuff with your old impeller transferred to the new shaft. Sacramento Vintage has complete kits and now makes the impeller.
    I have heard from some sources that the stainless shfts are unfriendly to seals and that only the regular steel ones should be used, but that's second hand info.

3. richydab

richydab
    from UK

Bruce

Thanks for that! The guy who put the reply up to my request said if the pump on the car, from where it mounts to shaft end was 7 and a half inches (which it is), that'd be the one to order....

Thanks again for your help Bruce

4. Mike

Mike

I bought a new, "leakless" water pump for my Model B from Sacramento Vintage Ford. I've installed it on the car and it's working great. It does not leak and it cools well even in 100 degree plus tempuratures. They're a bit pricey, but well worth it when you consider the alternitive of using a rebuilt 70 year old pump.

I also installed a new style plastic fan while I was at it. Not very traditional looking, but it helps cool the car better and it won't rust from the inside out and come apart at speed as the originals are prone to.

Here is a link to their web site:

http://vintageford.com

5. HoB

HoB
    from Sweden

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Keep track of Dick Spadaro from that other post--he is a serious '32 expert, and is a dealer in early Ford parts.

7. richydab

richydab
    from UK

Cheers agaain Bruce

And thanks HoB for finding my original post.... I'll post pics following the Ace Cafe trip!