Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sling Shot Classes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Jul 1, 2019.

1. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Was wondering if there is a gasser class of sling shots? In other words, non nitro/alky. Like to build something that runs on race fuel.

2. squirrel

squirrel

The definition of "gas" is "not other race fuels".

so, no, there is not.

But in the 60s it was pretty common for the wilder full bodied cars to end up running nitro, for match racing. The cars that are commonly referred to as "AFX" cars today, were mostly match race cars, that were not legal for any racing class. Many ran injected unblown nitro motors, and automatic transmissions.

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Comp eliminator maybe. Lippy

4. How competitive are you trying to be? If your just trying to have fun on the weekend's, a gas dragster would be fine for nostalgia eliminator is even bracket racing. They're are no rules against front engine dragsters in any classes that I'm aware of. Pick up an NHRA rule book before buying anything. You will have to meet NHRA safety standards to race at most tracks.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

SECTION 3: NOSTALGIA ELIMINATOR DESIGNATION N/E, N/E II, N/E III, preceded by number
    CLASSES N/E: 7.60 standard N/E II: 8.60 standard N/E III: 9.60 standard
    Competition is based on using a four-tenths heads-up Pro Tree.
    N/E: Reserved for front-engine center-steer cars only (dragsters, altereds, and pre- 1973 Funny Cars). Left-hand- and right-hand-steered roadsters and altereds will be allowed to run in N/E II and N/E III.

FUEL Racing gasoline, gasoline, alcohol, gasohol, diesel, ethanol, natural gas, and propane permitted. Nitromethane accepted.
    AND---- IT IS NOT "BRACKET RACING" there are no dial-ins and handicap starts

6. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Something fun to run. Plus, it's a good excuse for a blown V8. Just something different to play with. I'll definitely pick up a rule book. I'm thinking about one the 200" WB (give or take) chassis kit and build it up from the ground. I definitely will have more questions. What transmission is everyone running these days? Power Glides seem to be very popular.