Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Storing Engine Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Jun 30, 2019.

1. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I'm tearing a engine down and not gonna use a lot of the original parts from it. I was wondering what's the best way to store the heads and crank? I have a open air barn with a roof. I live in Florida and wanna protect these parts from the humidity.

2. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Grease them up with wheel bearing grease, wrap with oil soaked denim or canvas, and put in heavy mill storage bags. You can get head and crank, and block size bags from either a local machinists or Competition Products, you an get singles or multi-packs.
    www.competitionproducts.com
    Head/crank bag #CMP 8100-xx(1, 5, 10 count), Block bag 8101-xx

RidgeRunner and TheSteamDoc like this.
  3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^^^ Yes, then box them, and stash them in the back of a closet, under the bed, behind the couch. The Wife will never know and they'll be in a climate controlled environment where they deserve to be.

williebill, Just Gary, 302GMC and 2 others like this.
  4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I like to use LPS 3 Heavy Duty Rust Inhibitor. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/lps_rust.php
    Then put the parts in plastic bags with a desiccant pack or two and store the parts somewhere dry.

To add: I literally live less than a quarter mile from the beach. This storage method is the only way I could keep things from rusting and corroding. Even freshly machined parts stay rust free. The parts are stored in an unheated building and have never been damaged by any condensation inside the bags. It works for me.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

And if the wife finds them and makes a big stink, get a divorce you married the wrong woman.

302GMC, Moriarity and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Drum of diesel fuel

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I am single but no house at the moment. If I ever get my RV done. Hmm....

9. Like Mr48chev said, Cosmoline.