Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need opinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darin Younce, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Looking at a 38 Ford pickup . Older restoration , pretty nice truck but has fiberglass fenders . Wonder how much the value is lowered with fiberglass fenders? In my opinion it is substantial being good solid fenders for the 38- 39 truckare pretty hard to find and quite expensive. I personally would rather have all steel and might pass this truck up.

2. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Put some pictures up. A pictures worth a thousand words!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

fiberglass fenders are OK - but, if looking at a restored ride then it would affect sale price

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glass fenders don’t affect the fun factor when you are out on the highway. If everything else seems in order on the 38 , I would not over think things short term , just keep an eye out for steel fenders long term .

5window and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Don’t buy it if it doesn’t meet your criteria. Your opinion may not matter to the seller anyways.

lurker mick likes this.
  6. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

This truck in in Conway SC. The asking price is 17,200.00 . After looking at every 38- 39 Ford truck I possibly can in the last month or so and I think this is the least price one that is ready to drive I have seen. I would prefer something a bit less done because I kinda want t a project but am willing to consider anything. one thing is this place will take a trade in. Not that I need to but I have a 2012 Jeep liberty I bought for 3000.00 last year .It was my Dad's tow vehicle for his motorhome but being he sold me the motorhome he had no need besides the trans went out on him and he didn't want to fool with getting it fixed so I spent 300.00 for a salvage yard trans with less miles than the jeep has ,so I have about 3400.00 total with fluid and filter plus several hours of work. It is a nice car and even if they lowball me I will get more than I paid for the Jeep I am sure. My ideal truck would be something all orig or solid and complete as far as body goes . Not too concerned about the engine , trans because am thinking about a later model flathead or a 50's hemi instead of the old go to Chevy small block. This is a pretty big price for a truck with fiberglass fenders I am thinking but is suppose to be rust free all over . I looked at their pics and can see some questionable spots and know this truck probably looks better in the pic than ot does in person.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      52 KB
      Views:
  7. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

It is decent looking in the picture it certainly warrants a closer look over. If a 38 ford truck is what you are really after I wouldn’t let fibreglass fenders be a deciding factor. They aren’t making 38 ford trucks anymore...unfortunately.

Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

As far as fiberglass fenders.....they are not cheap by any means. A pair in hand will cost a grand or more.

Tri-power37 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

99% of the people that'll see it won't have an opinion. It'll be what they "believe" is a cool old truck.

"You must start with desire, keeping in mind that with the magic of believing you can obtain what you picture in your minds eye."

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The truck is is SC and so are you. Go take a look at it and take a car knowledgeable friend. It has fiberglass fenders because steel originals in decent shape are nearly impossible to find and very expensive. Most of these were "working" trucks and got beat up pretty good.
    Looks like it has fresh paint. look for botched up, bondo'd body work. Ask if they have (before paint) build photos.

11. jnaki

jnaki

Hey D,
    Fiberglass fenders will not make the car/truck any less. If that is THE truck you want, it looks pretty good just sitting there. The truck is a starting point and if the rest of the truck is rust free, not much work will be necessary. Drive it the way it is, do your small upkeep items, get it to the point you like, disregarding the fenders for now. With what you have planned, you will have time to search for those fenders old or new.

A friend has a sedan with fiberglass fenders. No one knew about them as the car was really nicely finished. It ran well, looked good, sounded great, and he had tons of fun on cruises all over So Cal. Then one day someone was walking by in the drive-in parking lot and "knuckled" several cars' fenders as they were walking back to their own car. (...Like some people do on picket fences with a stick) Of course, the questions started flying about the fit and finish, etc. My friend said he really did not care as those fiberglass fenders made his fast sedan lighter weight in front for racing. (this was in 1961, but, shades of things to come in the drag racing world.)

That statement shut the "knuckle" guy up and everyone was just as cool as ever. Who cared what it was, it had a purpose and looked pretty fantastic. No one cared about resale value or originality of the parts. It was a hot rod after all. But, later at the drags, there were plenty of racers with fiberglass front fenders on their dual purpose race/street cars.

Jnaki
    All of these choices, including your selection, are in various stages of completion. You have to decide if the time and money is worth the effort. Partially done, certainly helps in the long run as you can enjoy cool road trips, while doing minor things to make it drive/look better. For example, even if the $22k truck is $4k more than the one you chose, if it has steel fenders, that solves your search for those rare fenders. Plus, this truck looks a little better without much of a re-do coming up.
    YRMV

1938 Ford Pickup in Cadillac, Michigan $21,995
    https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1183205/1938-ford-pickup-for-sale-in-cadillac-michigan-49601
    upload_2019-6-29_8-4-47.png for about $4k more, things you have planned are already done for you. Contact the company for the fender situation. This one gives you more for your money and time on the real fender search, if they are fiberglass. Then you have a cool truck to drive all over the place, with the little changes you think you might need as you enjoy your road trips.

https://www.carsforsale.com/1938-ford-f-100-for-sale-C1034157
    less money, but less of a build components and finish.

https://cars.oodle.com/detail/1938-ford-pickup-stepside/5395134854-leggett-ca/
    much less money, but a good starting point if you want to do the makeover yourself...

The 1938 Ford trucks are out there, including one completely finished for $30k, but it was a little over the top.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

I redid a 35 Sedan and the owner insisted on using the steel fenders instead of buying a set of glass fenders . So 3 weeks of metal repair and body work he got his metal fenders. 120 hours times my then shop rate of 45 bucks per hour . Versus 1500 bucks for a set of glass fenders. Was it worth it ? To him it was. 2014-08-27 13.32.42.jpg

13. Opinion? really? LOL

Ask yourself this question. Are you a restorer or a hot rodder? If you answered restorer then ask yourself this next important question. Why are you on the HAMB?

vtwhead likes this.
  14. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I've been a specialty appraiser for many yrs. I've never added value for steel or deducted for fiberglass fenders on anything. Original Steel vs Fiberglass bodied 32 Fords, Merc, etc, different story. I'd say if it concerns you that much don't buy it.

Frankie47 likes this.
  15. southerncad

southerncad

ZZ Top Chop, just gave you the best answer to your question. .

16. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Thanks been involved in these ole fat fender friends for 46 or or so years and have plenty of expeirence doing restorations in 25 or so cars but have shyed away from fiberglass replacement fenders . Being a traditionalist I was on the fence. My 2nd restoration or hot rod I should say was a 39 Ford truck back in high school and have been wanting one again for some time. Probably going down to see this on Tuesday

17. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Well I am a bit of both having done some restorations and hot rods. Just haven't ever had anything with fiberglass fenders except a 59 vette.

18. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Thanks, makes me feel better about this if I trade. Btw remember an ole saying steel is real but glass is class.

ZZ Top Chop likes this.
  19. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

First of all, that's a lot of truck for $17K.
    Glass rear fenders fit well.
    I prefer steel fronts on '38-39 trucks but hard to come by.
    You're question is immaterial to the modified truck you're considering.
    Here's one we did with glass fenders.
    It brought more that $20K. 20160525_084807.jpg

20. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

thanks am planning on going down on tuesday to see it .can tell from blowing up the pics on their web site , the truck isn't show quality but don't do shows anyway and I plan on driving and enjoying but would like something fairly solid.

osage orange likes this.
  21. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Yeah , the price is really fair after looking around .

22. I've owned several cars with glass fenders, glass fenders doesn't hurt anything.

[​IMG]

osage orange and 5window like this.