Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don't you hate deadbeat friends???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

30 years ago a old mechanic (my Dad) told me always be wary of people coming in and saying things like - can you CHUCK a cam in this engine or how about -can you SPLASH a paint job on this car. If the person minimizes the size of the job by using words like this nicely explain to them all the steps it takes to do this job properly. If they look at you like you are crazy and don’t accept what you are telling them they are probably not worth having as a customer . Nicely get rid of them because there’s lots to do!

2. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I would accept, repair it, and return it back to you.... LOL

I have a lot of buddies who ask me if I need to borrow anything for that reason still to this day. But after I burrow something, I buy one for myself. Even if I never use it again, I have it.... It's cheaper to own it in the long run.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6-bangertim, wraymen and Deuces like this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

A thread thats true to heart..I have read the whole thing and have been in most situations; a "been there, done that" saying that fits..Read the whole thread for a look at yourself..

classiccarjack and Deuces like this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good thoughtful stuff here, guys. Some funny stuff, too LOL. Thanks for sharing.

I have to laugh when I remember my dad sometimes throwing his arms up and simultaneously yelling at the sky...
    People!!!

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

trollst, Deuces and Los_Control like this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really need to add...

The members of the hamb as a whole... and particular ones, especially... have been no less then some of the best people I've ever known.
    That's not just lip service.
    That's a fact, Jack.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Deuces

Deuces

:)

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  8. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I am a giver by nature. People often think I am up to something no good, because I am kind to them. Or some sort of creep if I help out a female. I treat both genders equally, I am happily married and have a awesome wife, no need for other complications. And I will have to say that I have been burned alot. But this is how my wierdo point of view is. If I help someone out, and they try to help in anyway in the future, then that is awesome! If they never give back, I become too busy for them, and move on. I never give more than I can afford to lose.

In most cases I don't meet people with the same skill level when it comes to cars. Growing up, I had a buddy named Bill. I helped him build a lot of cars. One day at work, he got T-Boned by a van, the van ran! Leaving him with broken ribs, spitting up blood and etc. Now he couldn't work, had no where to go, so I put him up with me and for a year provided food and shelter. Everyone said, he's using you, he's no good, hey Jack are you gay? The list goes on and on.. We both joined the Army and went separate ways. Years later, I was working at a Harley Davidson dealership in Pueblo CO. I was at a tough spot, as my low wages made it hard to survive. I was recently back in touch with Bill, and he offered me a job in San Diego. I took it. His wife and I clashed, it put a wedge between us. I got a job elsewhere for a couple of years, and eventually ended up where I am today. We kept in touch spiratically until about two years ago. For the past two years, we talk almost every single day, help each other out any way we can. Despite our ups and downs, he has become the best brother I could ever ask for. I still have a couple of old childhood friends that dislike the guy, but occasionally, Bill tells me that he will never forget how I was willing to take care of him after the car crash, asking nothing in return. Now that Bill is a giving person, I am fortunate to have done the right thing in the past. As far as skill level goes, Bill has learned a lot about building cars over the years. Between the two of us, we have no limitations. The other day, I showed him how to shape a metal piece and graft it in. Now he can patch any rough spot on a car. It's really awesome to see his skill level grow. I am still teaching him a thing or two, now and then, but the list is getting smaller... This is one case that I got lucky with building a great friendship. Now eventually, it may get to the point of Bill teaching me a thing or two...

Family, things are looking up. But the past was different. I have given some of them a second chance with success. One of them I am done with.

Done sharing... Back to work...

Deuces and Los_Control like this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

I had this sign in my shop for years , just changed hourly rates with the times/years, people chuckled when reading it, but I was dead serious, Hourly rate, $100 per hour, $200 per hour if you tell me how to do it, $300 per hour if you help me do it. Worked out well for me for 36 years, probably was 25/50/75 in 1976. I can not take credit for the idea, saw it somewhere/copied it and thought it was perfect, weeded out a lot of BS immediately IMO, the Only Opinion that mattered as it was My business.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    wraymen and Deuces like this.
  10. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Unfortunately I have been on both ends of this. I have been the shitty friend, and I've been the one getting shit on. In my youth, drugs and other such undesirable things made me a very unreliable person. As of today, I don't really have any friends ( other than my wife) .

11. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

^^^ Grimm, I didn’t want to just hit the like button on this. I don’t know you, but I respect you for your comment. And I will also say that I’ve been there.

12. spanners

spanners

I have a saying and it could be construed figuratively or literally. "You only get one chance to kick me in the nuts".

Deuces and classiccarjack like this.
  13. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

The important thing is that you learned from your mistakes and became a better person because of it. It sucks to get judgement by the way a person was when they were young. A lot of folks eventually "grow up" and pull their head out of their ass. And yet some don't. I have a cousin that is rock solid, you would never guess that he spent time in prison. He was truly reformed, and very trustworthy today because of it.

I am the ONLY man in my family that hasn't spent time behind bars. I am proud of that, and learned well from my relatives as to who NOT to be like...

grimmfalcon138, j hansen and Deuces like this.
  14. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Your a good guy Danny you deserve to have many many friends!

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

I never been in jail also....
    It's called the scared straight program once you learn what it's really like in the klink.. :confused::(

16. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Yeah... I heard some nasty stories. Makes you cringe...

Deuces likes this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Reminds me of a saying:

"The only person that loves you is your mama, and she might be bullshittin".

Deuces likes this.
  18. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

My wife has taught our boys (two teenagers) about money and also uses it as an analogy for friends: do you want 100 pennies (lots of so-called friends) or maybe a .50 cent piece and a couple of quarters.
    She uses her own friendships as examples. I believe it has helped my oldest son weed out the pennies and concentrate on a few larger ones.

As I’ve said in other posts I have no social media accounts at all. I have the H.A.M.B. Most of my cars do not even fit the rules so I can’t discuss them and I’ve not been here six months but feel like if I was stuck on the road somewhere I could post and folks who may have never read any of my posts would offer assistance. I appreciate the age and wisdom of this board. I felt like many of you did thousands of miles away when that clutch mechanism failed on the Route 66 family and wished I could have helped. I’ll add one more item just to hobby, my wife (a professional and well educated lady) will confirm that old car people have been a breath of fresh air from her circles. I maintained contact with many and often times she’s had to meet and pick up parts on one of her vacations alone with my boys. The last stop for a set of heads in Missouri they offered her dinner and she hung out for hours. While they may not be friends that were all good people and sometimes treat us better than our own family. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

safetythird, wicarnut, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one friend that I trust no matter what. He will be here in moments notice if need be. I was in a headon collision some years back a few hours from here. I called him (did not want my wife driving there on a winding mountain road all nervous).She spoke with the CHP so knew I was not too bad off. He was there in record time from his workplace 3 hrs away! He runs a bunch of large vineyards for a winery and has a very large shop that has everything you can imagine. He lets me store project cars and do chassis work there as well. In return I did major work on his 55 and his drag car as well. He has helped me out on other occasions as well but is no one you want to cross!
    We go to this lunch place and he told me about a 40 coupe behind it he had found. We went and looked but the guy didn't want to sell it.
    We went there again sometime later and now the guy wanted to sell. I told him buy it-offer $6K. He said I don''t know? I said buy it! If you get nervous I'll give you a profit. He bought it and I knew of some guys looking for a 40 coupe project. I told him call these guys and tell them it's $12K. He did and they came and got it the next day. He and his wife were astounded. He said why didn't you buy it? I told him you found it-it's your deal. He could not believe it $6K in two days-still talks about it.
    He is 13 yrs my junior-same age as my wife. One time he asked what I was doing and I told him I had to start getting down the Christmas stuff from the attic which is tough to do for my wife and I. In about 40 minutes here he was to help!! I have close relatives a mile away that can't be bothered so I will not ask them.

20. Pops used to jokingly say “nothing I hate more than borrowing lousy equipment!”

He was a good friend to many and is missed but this one reminded me especially of him

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Truck64 likes this.
  21. Everyone here seems to be like minded and fair/kind. I've gone the other way, I'm a socially awkward, weirdo hermit. Was never really close to anyone accept my grandparents as a kid. I have my best friend I met in 6th grade (he's on here), he has a family of his own (I chose not to) so we still talk once in awhile. I met my girlfriend when she was 16 and we've been together ever since (30 yrs). My life is sad and boring to most, but I like it.......work on my cars, look for parts, read the HAMB, learn new things to help work on the cars. Then drive around in said cars at night so not to run into too many people. Although I am planning to do a route 66 drive in the future......which is BIG for me.

****gets up from the couch**** thanks Doc, I'll see you next week.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    SS327, Lepus, j hansen and 5 others like this.
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's strange to me. I've never had that impression of you.

Deuces likes this.
  23. I had a brother and good friend working on my car for the most part. My brother has disappeared with no explanation, figure his wife may have something to do with it, she's not a nice person and he's on the whipped side. But his tool boxes lives in my garage, I'd tell him to get them out but my place is the safest spot for them to be stored.

My friend, we have been helping each other for a long time. He's got an OT car going on, he's got my engine stand and crane at his shop. I find myself up late nights machining parts for his project. But I don't mind at all. I'm still on the + side of things. We both agree that it is a lot of fun to watch people pour sick $$ into projects. Sort of like going to an Xmas party at someone else's house and watch them open boxes...

Deuces likes this.
  24. topher5150

topher5150

I feel guilty as hell asking for help or borrowing something I feel I at least ow them a case of beer.

25. Ziggster

Ziggster

I find that having good friends is difficult. Friends also come and go. I can say I still stay in touch with a friend for more than twenty years. He would give you the shirt off his back. Too bad he lives almost 1000 miles away. In today's world of instant messaging etc, I actually find in more difficult to hook up with people I know. Everyone just seems so busy and preoccupied. I can say luckily I haven't been in too many situations where I have been taken advantage of.

Deuces likes this.
  26. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost ten years since I posted on this Most of my time is spent just working on projects. I don't go to cruises I adopted my great grand son and figure by the time he is old enough to be a friend I will be gone. Never was able to have a real friend that you can rely on family was no better. So dead beat and friend are oppisites!

27. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Met my better half about 16 years ago, she has become my best friend as well as partner. I have many
    people I know and am friendly with, a few I will loan tools too, but no one else I would consider loaning money too as I have been burned too many times. She has bailed me out of tight money spots
    a few times, I have always paid it back asap, but she is too important to me to risk losing. I could borrow from family, but the cost would be too high.

28. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Taken once shame on them. Taken twice shame on you

Deuces likes this.
  29. SS327

SS327

I have been screwed over too many times by friends. Now by choice I have none. But if I see some one in need I just give them what I can and do it in a way that they never know who I am. My dogs have treated me much better than any friend ever did.

Denny

Deuces likes this.
  30. I have 2 very dear cats, when I was out of the hospital after heart surgery a few years ago, they were the ones curled up next to me as I slept. The older one sleeps with me and also my girlfriend when she sleeps over. One big happy family. I give a lot of things away, only to those I know need it NOW to get their ride up and running. I've bought parts for people in a pinch too.

SS327 and Deuces like this.