Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A tilt out windshield

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Has anyone got a pic of how the tilt out arms go together? I bought a alum frame and purchased the tilt out arms separate, didn't think it'd be a big deal but apparently it is. My arms have the notches in them and one thing that confuses me is the knobs are threaded all the way through. I've searched the internet but keep coming up with ATV windshields and model A wipers. I know it has to be simple and I'm just not seeing it.

2. HotRodTodds

HotRodTodds

If nobody responds before, I can send a picture tomorrow

3. upspirate

upspirate

In the mean time, post a pic of what you have....

4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I didn't take a pic, just thought of that when I decided to post. I'm putting in the door glass after church tomorrow so I'll get a pic then and post it tomorrow evening. Hot rod todd, whenever you can post a pic I'd be grateful, thanks. This all came in a kit and since it's been awhile I don't remember where it came from, hope it wasn't from Howell's, I tried some of their patch panels and wasn't to happy with them.

upspirate likes this.

5. Does this help ??

Attached Files:

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The round screw hole goes upward and also away from the driver...
    the pivot brackets on the frame are different ['28-'29 and '30-'31]... left to right...
    upper w/s hinges are also different...
    there is a 5/16" threaded stud that comes out of the A pillar... the slot on the swing arms slides over them... the knobs thread onto the studs, pinching the swing arms... rubber gasket and a cupped washer go between the arms and knobs...
    pic of A pillar studs and the knobs...
    beware the model T, looks like the A but is 1" narrower... you can spot them cause they have a tube welded on for the manual windshield wiper arm... snake bitt 1 004.JPG

osage orange likes this.
  7. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

Here is what mine look like. I have no way of knowing if they are correct. I have had them apart a couple of times and this is the only way they go together and still function like I guess they are supposed to.

IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0373.JPG

8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

This is a pic of what I got, forgot to take a pic of the part on the windshield frame.

Attached Files:

9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Also, the covers for the windshield post have a hole in them, no stud or anything just a hole.

poprivit likes this.
  10. flatford39

flatford39

That didn't come from Henry that's for sure. Where did you get them??

11. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Don't remember where I got them, should have bought them from Mike's A fordable parts, everything I got from him has been ok.

12. Your brackets are an after market accessory. Extra notches so they won't slip. If you go to Bratton's website (they also offer them) you'll find a picture showing the washers, etc. On mine from the A-pillar post out they go:
    steel flat washer, bracket (as shown above), rubber washer, cup washer and knob.

13. And the little screws attach the bracket to the w/s frame.

14. I’ve not seen the arms with the slots but they look like they would lock the window position very positively.

15. I guess in the old days of low speed A's, w/s slippage wasn't an issue. Mine hasn't closed at speed yet, but I've only had it up to 80. If I'd seen the multiple notch in the catalog first...

16. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

There is nothing on my A pillars, there is a hole for a stud I presume in the windshield post garnish molding. I'd say they eliminated them on the chop. I'll have to come up with something on that.

17. HotRodTodds

HotRodTodds

Does this help?

Attached Files:

18. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

You all have been a lot of help.

19. HotRodTodds

HotRodTodds

Just take a bolt that fits your hardware, cut or grind head off and weld it into post. It would help to have a second set of hands to hold the bracket in place and make sure it will operate in and out before you drill and weld it.

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

memory says that half of the studs are flattened …. they rivet to the A pillar... snyders has them...

21. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

There is 2 plates in the post where the screws go in to hold the garnish molding. I can make a piece to connect them and mount the stud to it. I have to drill and rethread holes to mount the moidings anyway.

22. Here's my '28:
    windshield frame-3.jpg
    windshield frame-4.jpg
    windshield frame-5.jpg
    windshield frame-6.jpg

23. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

The notches on your aftermarket arms are a great feature. I have had my window slam shut at highway speed and it will wake you up for sure.. Gary

24. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Thanks oldtimer, the notches are why I bought these, that I remember. Where I bought them at is a mystery. My memory sucks anymore.

25. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Genes12320 likes this.