Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Route 66, my family, and a 63 wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Driveway builder, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yeah I think there was something else going on there, crack open any shop manual and they always list smaller jets for use as the altitude increases. Less air = more fuel. Pressure or density altitude, humidity, temperature, all play a role in correct jetting.

I remember a traffic jam near the summit of Pikes Peak, so we were staring at the ass end of somebody's car. The flatlanders tailpipes were dripping a thin but steady stream of raw fuel. The powervalve opening and closing is based on average engine vacuum, at high altitude the wrong # valve especially under load, never closes.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

There may be differences between the Carter's and Holleys. I would use thinner needles to fatten up the old Cuda. Then put the thicker one's in at sea level to lean it out. It would bellow out black smoke by the time I gassed up in Hayes off of I 70. So Hayes Kansas was my needle adjustment stop.

I never owned a Holley fortified auto in high altitude for a long period of time. I four barrelled a inline six just before I moved to California from Colorado Springs using a Holley 390 CFM. I only drove it for a short time between Security and Pueblo before the move. I am not certain that if I had traveled to different elevations, what the Holley would have required. I recammed and put a larger 4 BBL in California to keep up with the freeway speeds. So I don't have good data in the last case to state if my Holley was different than the Carter.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I misspelled Hays, in Kansas, sorry for the typo... I swear that my forehead isn't bubbled ya'all...

4. ken bogren

ken bogren

There's something for everyone on or along Route 66. If you want a small sample I have 1,500 or so on my Route 66 website:

http://route66times.com/

If that link is inappropriate mods can delete it.

5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I have traveled the "abandoned lanes" purposely for the experience. I have walked over the barricaded Bridges and everything else that I made time to do. I love the fantasy if driving a old car down a road that it may have traveled back in the day. Perhaps I am a complete wierdo, but I love America's past. Thank God I was raised by my Grandma who told me stories about her travels by rail in the 1930's as well as her travels on Route 66. Once I get my 1930's projects road worthy, you can bet that I will travel these roads even more! The same goes for my Panhead Harley ..

OK, I am going to stuff a sock in it. This is about the adventure of a lovely family in a super duper cool Wagon, traveling on one of the best adventures that some if us only dream about...

6. RR

RR

Flagstaff, AZ is right at 7000'.

7. Your family will remember this trip forever, have fun, drive safe.

8. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

Good Looking Wagon!!!!!
    Good Luck and drive safe on your trip.
    Some of you Hamb members that live near this route should open your doors and invite this family over.
    They have many days on the road and a little hospitality goes a long way.
    If Route 66 was near me I would tell them to stop by my Shop.......

9. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

I wish we had an “Uncle Eddie” to visit like the movie. Lol

10. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Finished up the car tonight... installed the seatbelts and the all important cup holders. Neither came in a 63 Rambler. Haha I also put one white belt for whoever sits in the middle. Six separate lap belt ends would be the perfect storm for three angry kids to start fighting. Now there should be no confusion. Plus Amazon only had 4 turquoise belts... I had a white set from another project, so there you go. Just waiting on two side mirrors... they should be here on Friday. Down to the wire here. We are on schedule to hit the road Tuesday morning. Can’t wait!!! 40CC1AB6-240A-478F-BA78-71EFAF4CEC8B.jpeg 3A4E6FE3-73F7-4614-B685-2996DEE72177.jpeg 7EE2EC6D-5C8D-4321-8501-DBA02722679C.jpeg 794699D8-AE26-4A05-B08C-430092DC17F8.jpeg

11. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

That is one nice Rambler Wagon!

12. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG]
    You are an awesome dad!
    Here is my old Rambler. Was a daily until The 41 was on the road. Had to let her go since it wasn’t getting driven anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Where did you get the cup holders?

Elcohaulic likes this.
  14. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

They are just cheap plastic cup holders off Amazon... I made some brackets, painted them black, and screwed them into the metal seat frame with some self tappers. I had to make them move with the seats so they couldn’t get fastened to the floor or something. The Rambler has that front seat option, the seat moves all the way forward and folds down to make a bed. Not that I’m planning on using it... but I still wanted it to work. Unless something really goes wrong... haha

Boneyard51, Thor1, Elcohaulic and 7 others like this.
  15. Can't wait to go along with you on this trip! Makes me want to get my transmission fixed in my 56 so I can do another long road trip with my kids before they get too old. My oldest just turned 15 and won't be real interested once he can drive himself. Nothing like simplifying a little and taking a family trip in an old car.

16. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Maybe you could go along, by following me with a flatbed?

chiro, Hombre, slv63 and 4 others like this.
  17. If I went...I would have my family in another old car. :D It’s not near as fun driving a late model...especially following something cool. You will be fine and have a great time.

18. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I'm a Rambler guy...a Classic wagon 196 ohv 6 with 3 on tree is very dependable.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

19. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

real nice wagon. Parents had a 65 Classic 660 wagon when I was kid. Live down near Coatesville maybe I'll see you on the road sometime. Safe Travels.

20. Hey...by the way...not sure what your schedule looks like but when you are in Oklahoma, I am only a few miles off Route 66 and could lend a hand or maybe just shake one if you all end up staying in the OKC area. My real name is Jeff Smith and you can shoot me a pm if you need anything on your way through.

21. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Thanks so much for the offer... I may take you up on that. Hopefully she runs great with no problems. Hopefully

22. 6sally6

6sally6

Well now.........I liked the Cadillac Ranch! We could smell the spray paint from the road!! Your kids will LOVE IT!!
    Stayed at The Blue Swallow and really liked it. Didn't do the entire road but what we saw was well worth the grumbling the "other half" did.:rolleyes:
    6sally6

23. belair

belair

Before you leave, be sure to tell the kids "I ain't afraid to stop this car, pull you out, and whip yer butt." That oughta hold em for about five minutes. I rode in the back seat of a 57 Chevy from Arkansas to Anchorage 5 times when it was a gravel road. You guy are going to have the trip of a lifetime. If you can still get disposable cameras, buy a bunch and let the kids take pictures. It's an analogue trip, so take some pictures they will keep for life, instead of just digital ones.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  24. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Yeah... there’s no way I’m not stopping at Cadillac Range. Where will you ever let your kids spray their names on someone else’s cars legally. Plus, I know it won’t be there for ever... those cars look like they’re being held together by the layers of paint at this point. We are even bringing rain boots Incase it’s under water from rain!

Boneyard51, Hombre, Texas57 and 3 others like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good idea. It rained again today. Might wanna bring a john boat for good measure.

26. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

If you are into the wilder customs (Kustoms?), Darryl Starbird's National Rod & Custom Car Hall of Fame Museum in Afton, OK. It is quite a distance from the Toll road, I was convinced that I was lost before I got there...

http://www.darrylstarbird.com

I highly recommend the old powerhouse museum in Kingman, AZ

https://www.mohavemuseum.org/az-route-66-museum.html

Also a great place to "drain" the kids, there are not many bathrooms on the way to Oatman, AZ.

27. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

X2 on the Starbird museum!!!!!
    We found it by chance after getting lost about a year ago. His wife and he were there, so we got to talk with them. He's amazing telling how he developed the bubble to design. Anyone who likes cars should visit.
    Stop at every place you have time for.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

28. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

44EE39F0-1CB8-49C7-B43E-A2E99E5787A0.jpeg Pulled the valve cover off tonight and put on a new gasket. I also took the advice of a few above and re-torqued the head bolts to make sure they were good. Tomorrow I’ll top off all the fluids and pull the front wheels to grease the wheel barings. Also, my two rear view mirrors should be here tomorrow. Thats should be it....

Boneyard51, Woogeroo, Thor1 and 10 others like this.
  29. 6sally6

6sally6

Wonder what if.............you put lock tite on those head bolts ?! Would that work to help keep'em torqued down?
    Jus say'in
    6sally6

30. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

I was lucky I guess... mine were tight. If I wouldn’t have checked them, they would have been loose. It’s cool though... I’ve been wanting to put the new gasket on anyway.