Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '48 Ford Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, Jun 12, 2019.

?
  1. 1) 302/C4/8" Ford/ Mustang II

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. 2) 350 Chevy/ Stock '48 3-speed w/column shift/Banjo rearend/I-beam

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm so undecided on what direction to take my '48 Ford Coupe. I should be able to get started on it in the next couple weeks. Below are the possibilities I'm considering for drivetrain.

1) 302 Ford, C4, 8" Ford rearend, Mustang II IFS
    2) 350 Chevy, stock '48 3-speed w/column shift, stock banjo rearend, dropped I-beam axle.

I already have the listed parts or ready access to all the parts above. I also have a 9" Bronco rearend to allow me to retain the 5.5" bolt pattern. So, option 1 could also be done with an I-beam axle to keep the 5.5" bolt pattern. I also already have a SBC to early Ford adapter. Either engine and the C4 are a phone call away, and I'm not talking about crate engines.

I've never posted a poll before, so I have no idea if this will all be done properly. Just hoping for some input and what I really want is the reasoning that drives the opinions expressed.

Thanks for participating.

Lynn

2. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Got a 400 small block Chevy with the adapter to the original drive line, been collecting the pieces because every one tells me its gonna break. I really baby it and its holding together so far, but if your going to beat on it go with the C4 with 8" rear end. 20170414_135022 (1).jpg
    Note: only center carb linkage hooked up :eek:

3. Crayons

Crayons

I did this swap years ago before there were any kits (everything was fabricated at home )... the only difference was mine was a Merc (longer wheelbase ). I used a stock front end (brakes, tube shocks) and a dropped axel. The bones were unsplit, the plate holding the ball was spaced /shimmed down to clear the oil pan . The motor was 302 w/C4 and 8" rearend on parallel springs. Power steering was provided by late model (70s ) Ford. Car handled and rode like a dream.

4. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I am getting ready to pull the flathead and overdrive out of my 41 Ford deluxe and put a 302 with a manual of some sort in mine this winter. Decided against the chevy only because I'm more of a Ford guy.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app