Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical sombrero caps on a ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Jun 10, 2019.

1. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

so i have some 49 caddy sombrero caps and the inner ring doesnt fit my 53 ford steel wheels, whats the secret? im sure theres a secret

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not even goin to say it.

3. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i think i figured it out anyway....seemed more challenging than it was

4. Very simple......from the 50s...…...SHEET METAL SCREWS...…...

oliver westlund likes this.

5. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i dont think it was getting em on that was daunting, more just making sure they dont fall off after, seems like there are a handful of options though. lotta guys attach trim rings i guess? common knowledge for some, ive only had one car with hubcaps ever though and they were stock dog dishes so it wasnt common knowledge to me

6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

7. I could never keep them on a Ford wheel. HRP

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

GREAT method, I had a real 'tryst' with '55 Olds caps staying on a Ford wheel. ('53 Vic) Center was too high, caps would come off over a bump in the road...after twice, I had to figure it out.
    Long story short: Mid-'50s International pickup wheels. Deeper 'dish', outer rim is offset 3/4"...also, 4.5" pattern! Also, and the best: Inner hub cap nubs take early Ford caps! ('40-'48) Never lost another Fiesta cap!
    Also, was able to fit Cad sombreros on with the 'outer lip tangs' that don't fit Fords!

alanp561 likes this.