Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Shoebox / Disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ottoparts, Mar 29, 2011.

1. I see where there are plenty of $600+ dollar kits out there to put disc brakes on the front of a shoebox.
    My question, is there or has anyone made their own conversion? Disc from car A, caliper from car B, and caliper mounts from car C.
    I'm having a hard time wanting to drop that kind of coin for something that seems pretty simple.

2. Good question!
    I have the same issue on my 49 shoebox with original brakes. Once I get started on the car this is one thing I'd like to do.
    So, what's the cheapest and easiest conversion?

3. big creep

big creep

ford granada calipers, but you will have to buy a kit just to mount them. i just bought a whole kit. worth the money to not have to look for parts.

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I was thinkin this also with my 41 plymouth. Many Ford stuff interchange with Granada or Mustang stuff. Mopar is the same with the 70's volarae or early 80s new yorker ect.... Once I calculated things, it was cheaper to buy the kit.

For what it is worth, I used Brake Tech Solutions kit out of NC. I did have to send them my spindles for machine work, and it was a fast turn around.

There where hidden issues, like the master cylinder was different between drum drum, and disk drum, not to mention prop valve and resid valves.... And one thing I did not factor in was the throw from the brake peddel from the old single bowl master to the dual chamber. I had to buy and eci bell crank set up. Thank god someone made it.

If you figure it out or do the upgrade, I am hoping for posted pics, I always wanted a Shoe box...

5. big creep

big creep

6. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

I have bought a kit a jamco kit my shoebox with a-arms and new spindes

But i have made a kit by my own to my desoto 41 with chevelle discs and callipers
    I used plymoth 56 spindels that i have moved the berings in a little bit
    and home made stearing arms.

7. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

There's a mention on your website that your conversion kit does not work with the drop spindles.Does that mean drop uprights?
    I have a set of drop uprights,which i havent mounted yet.Just curious,is it a caliper problem with drop spindles/uprights or what?

9. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

Our Disc brake kit as it is now will not work with the shoebox drop uprights. The caliper hits the upper control arm. We are working to re-locate the caliper so it will work with the drop uprights. This goes for the 49-51 Mercury cars as well.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Okey,thanks for your answer

11. sicmade

sicmade
    from Modesto

I found a company that sells the same brackets that other companys use. $60 for the brackets $15 for the spacers that you will need to buy from the same company. Their are identical.They ship the brackets in less than a week..I will post pictures later today of the brackets. I built my whole kit for less than 200.00.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  12. Sicmade, that's great to hear. I'm very interested in seeing your set up. Great timing too. I'm at the point to where I am working on my front suspension and will soon be onto the beaks.

13. big creep

big creep

post pics, im curious to what you got?

14. sicmade

sicmade
    from Modesto

just installed the disk brakes this morning.

Attached Files:

15. sicmade

sicmade
    from Modesto

Attached Files:

16. sicmade

sicmade
    from Modesto

The only thing I dont like with the disk brake kits for the Fords and Mercs is the caliper mounting in front of the rotor.Looks odd to me.

Attached Files:

17. Looks good. Clean and simple.
    What caliper and rotor do you use? Is it the Aerostar rotor with Camaro/Firebird caliper?
    What's the name of the company?

18. sicmade

sicmade
    from Modesto

1993 ford ranger 2wd front rotors and gm metric calipers. Very simple kit, I found the company that sells the brackets.Which are the same as the kits that other companys sell.I understand a business trying to make money on these kits but 3 times what it cost for the parts is a rip off.It's almost an insult to this Kustom car community.When I get time I will put together a parts list with all the part numbers.

19. I agree. Thank you for sharing and I'm looking forward to your list.

20. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

ECI engineering I recommend

21. im interested in the list also

22. ShoeIn

ShoeIn
    from Kansas

one more poor boy waiting for the list

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Same here,i really like to see that list.

24. sicmade, any update on getting a list and the name of the company from you?
    Thanks

25. ericl1951

ericl1951

love it! would like to see the list and/or the name of the company you bought the brackets/spacers from.

thanks

26. ButchsCoolStuff

ButchsCoolStuff

What carlos said! ECI sells a bol;t on kit for around $200, you furnish the calipers & rotors yourself. Hard to beat this one! Have used them for years! Work GREAT! Butch

27. msalamanca

msalamanca

Anybody know where to get the Spacers for the Aerostar Rotor set up? I know ECI sells them, but anywhere closer?

28. Go over and look on the shoeboxford.com forum and do a search there. One of the members made his own brackets and spacers then used off the shelf parts from a local parts house. I don't remember what his final cost was but I know it looked good and went together easy. I think his drawings are posted there too.

29. msinclair32

msinclair32

Did anyone find out who sells just the brackets? The ones I found it seems to be cheaper to buy the whole kit rather that piece it together