Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I need some ideas on Flathead fan location

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ratspit, May 25, 2019.

1. Ratspit

Ratspit

So I am building a 34 Ford pickup and will be running a flathead. No fenders, no hood. I want to mount the engine a bit higher then stock and in doing so need to locate the fan in front of the timing cover, so that it will center on the radiator. So far my only idea to accomplish this is to weld and machine a mounting surface to a steel timing cover. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Assuming late (49-53) flat v8 as the earlier ones have the distributor there......
    Even so, the timing covers are cast iron or aluminum and not something I'd hang a fan off of.
    Hate em', but electric fan may be your only option.

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. Ratspit

Ratspit

Sorry, I should have specified late style engine (french flathead) with distributor off to the side. Electric fan solves a lot of issues but can't bring myself to use one for this truck. I was also thinking of building a bracket that would hang off the generator mount on the intake but it looks like it would be long and possibly end up looking ugly.

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the early flattie will mount the belts over an inch closer to the block than the 8ba style...
    the 8ba belt mounts further away as it needed clearance for the distributer shaft between the block and pullies...
    will changing to the distributor and pullies from the 8ba to the 59ab style buy you enough room for the fan ? my $0.02.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a flathead fan and I'm in S.E. Michigan.

C'mon, somebody had to do it so...;) :D

6. Ratspit

Ratspit

I am moving the cab back 4" on the chassis so plenty of room front to back. Its locating the fan so that its vertical positioning is correct on the radiator.

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Friends helping friends, you know.;)

I'm having a hard time visualizing this and what I am visualizing in my head does not look to good.
    It's so early in the build and a '34 actually came with a flathead......one day you may want to put the fenders back on.
    Maybe you need to rethink this.

8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Any thoughts about adapting or fabricating something similar to a "Zips" style single pump for the front of your motor? 2 benefits : better cooling & a place to mount the fan. Someone(Hot-Heads?) does something similar for the Hemi using a single 348/409 pump.

9. I don't suppose something like this would work for you?
    CIMG1046.JPG

Tim, chryslerfan55 and town sedan like this.
  10. Ratspit

Ratspit

Sidevalve8ba that looks like a possibility. I'd need to fabricate a longer bracket.

11. Ratspit

Ratspit

This truck has the fan centered on the timing cover but no way to tell how it was done. shine nose.jpg

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You might want to consider making your own steel fan carrier bracket that would
    allow you to raise the fan higher and also permit the fan carrier hub to swivel left and right so you could bolt it
    into desired position. Something like you will see in this thread.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245809&highlight=Re:+Barrel+Manifold
    You can also make a fan carrier adapter which will swivel left to right and be moved up and down using the OEM fan carrier bracket shown.
    I made the new fan hub shown but,it's cheaper and easier to use the set up Bob Drake makes sells.
    https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=21A-8600-K

Attached Files:

13. I used all factory pieces on mine. It's 8RT 1/2 ton pick-up truck pieces.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, do a search for pics of F-1 pickup pumps, belts, and fans. That sounds like what you need. Always nice to use Fomoco parts rather than hand fabbing the same thing.

Boden, King ford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You won't know for sure what you need until you first set your engine in the car at the height you desire.
    Then install the generator mount and the fan hub pulley bracket that bolts to it. Then install your fan pulley hub with fan so that you can figure out height limitations both up and down so that you don't cut into your radiators hoses. At that point, if the stock parts mentioned earlier don't work,you can make your own fan carrier bracket that has longer slots for vertical adjustment.

16. alchemy

alchemy

Personally, I'd have all the parts before making my motor mounts. You can wiggle the engine up or down to fit the radiator and hoses, and maybe even back and forth. The pulleys and fan aren't that expensive if you can find them at swap meets or from friends. And buy the new pumps to match once you determine this system will work for you.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  17. Ratspit

Ratspit

Thank you for all the great ideas.

18. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I used a 46-48 set up on 8 BA , works just fine. IMG_3625.JPG
    33 truck grill

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  19. FlatJan

FlatJan

i have a french flatty in a 28 roadster w original firewall.
    here is how i did it.side dizzy from bubba, truck pumps and a small modern gen with homemade bracket and pulley (made that thing 3x :D ). And i used a cut down thirtysomething fan.
    Tight fit but possible
    WP_20190811_16_03_41_Rich.jpg

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Seems like the f1 set up is your answer but in case your still curious

That’s jimmy shines 34 pickup. Googling that alone should get you about a bazillion magazine articles, cut away drawings and videos. If that fails I’d just contact the shop and ask.

3CEC900F-3085-4DF0-9668-6607AF1E3FA3.jpeg

1-SHOT likes this.
  21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well, I’ve always liked the Flathead, it powered the very first vehicle I ever drove in 1959! So I’ve collected several, but had never heard of a “French” Flathead! So..... instead of sounding dumb on the HAMB...... I looked it up! Ugh..... it’s a Flathead made in France! Go figure!
    BUT, I read on further and found out there were also German flatheads and most interesting of all Simca continued to build the Flathead up until 1990! Simply amazing fact! To me anyway.

Bones

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw this one in the pits at the Billetproof Eruption drags last weekend. I'm not sure what combination of block and pieces it has but it appears to be pretty close to what you are looking for. I just bought a 5 blade fan and hub for my 8 BA that I have for my 31 IMG_7783.JPG IMG_7782.JPG IMG_7786.JPG IMG_7784.JPG

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My messy 8BA (at least the heads are) a couple of minutes after we pulled it out of the Jeep wagon "huntin rig" that it had powered for years.
    [​IMG]
    The fan sits up pretty good on it.

24. I used all 8RT parts. Pumps, fan, crank pulley and generator pulley on my 8BA.
    That way you get the old timey fat belts.
    And the fan sits about in the middle of the radiator.

Sent from my SM-J727V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sidevalve8ba likes this.