Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is the Journey really the Reward?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 29, 2019.

1. Deadender60

Deadender60

I saw your wagon cruise by outside from our booth (inside the building) and thought it was yours but wasn't sure until I saw you. Good seeing you. Great photo op with Lee Pratt's wagon!

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool post. You created great memories that your kids will tell stories for years to come. When my kids were younger we took a lot of trips in the old car, you have many more to look forward to. The journey is the highlight of every trip. Your Blessed to own such a kool wagon.

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

If a trip didn't have a story, what fun would it be? ;)

4. jim snow

jim snow

Great story. Your kids are going to remember this trip for the rest of their life. So that journey was definitely worth the reward. Snowman

5. curious how a set of bearings that fit the car, were wrong. sounds like a defective part.

6. Jive...I've owned 11 different 55-57 Pontiacs and always had front wheel bearing trouble. If I had it to do again, I'd swap over to 58 Pontiac roller bearings and toss those troublesome ball bearings away.
    BTW, beautiful safari.

7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Taking the journey is the reward. Semantics… your preparation and road trip sounds like the countless times that things happened, on the myriad of road trips we took as teenagers and/or twenty somethings. It was/is a great story. When everything you think is ready or getting ready, on the hot rod, something else pops up at home.

Being well prepared is a story in itself, because there is something that happens before leaving or it happens on the road. A patient wife and kids is/are necessary for the patience it takes to develop a trouble free hot rod or road worthy car.

We did learn that the preparation makes the trip go smoother. And, on the road, the attitude must be adjusted, after all, it is a home grown hot rod. It seems like a mid-50s cruiser or hot rod would have less problems than an early roadster, sedan or truck. Less miles, less wear and tear, and the previous trouble free road trip makes the new one just for the taking without further prep.

As mentioned in another thread, LA History, sometimes it is the journey. Driving up to Hollywood is/was about the same distance to Newport Beach/Laguna Beach. So, guess which journey had the most rewards?

Jnaki

To us, even a road trip to Long Beach has it rewards: Golden Star Hamburgers or my mom’s teriyaki. It is the journey of the coastal drive, to prepare yourself for the meal reward, seeing my old teenage stomping grounds and my mom. 3 out of 4 isn’t bad.

For us, the road to our old home is just a memory, only to be experienced once a year if there is time. The neighborhood just is not like it used to be back then… But part of the road trip could be to hit up the fabulous "foodie" places in that portion of the Westside. (Santa Fe Importers and Golden Star, etc.) Savoring the tastes, as the familiar aromas float in the air, brings back a rush of memories. (Grilled cheeseburgers, hot rod odors, or even the industrial fiberglass/resin smell, all work the memory banks.)

What about the myriad of coastal road trips to the various surf spots all up and down the coast? Certainly, the destination’s rewards over power the journey. But, as teenagers, seeing new places, meeting new people, and driving on new highways was always pleasurable. Even though we were outsiders/travelers/surfers, we had a connection to the end result, the waves.
    upload_2019-7-19_3-36-49.png
    But, a journey in an old hot rod, custom, or family wagon...they all have their rewards to the destination. Just turn the key and let the rumble begin...

Ron Funkhouser and Hnstray like this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Really enjoyed your story .......until the end when you snapped me back to reality by telling that the car was 62 years old , really came as a bucket of cold water . But thanks anyway ....

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  9. Jay, I still think it would be a great idea to recreate this photo, then & now. HRP

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You just proved that the journey IS worth the reward PLUS the thrill of success
    and having a good time. Few kids will have such a neat experience in Dad's old car.

48fordnut and Ron Funkhouser like this.