Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 302 rear sump

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cammer8, May 29, 2019.

1. cammer8

cammer8

Looking for rear sump oil pan with provision for tube dipstick. No one seems to offer one for a 1968 ford 302. Or do I need to custom make one.? There are a lot of pans on the market, but none with dipstick.

2. I have one on the 351W in my coupe. It's from an early-mid 80's van. See if there is a listing for the 5.0 in the same application.

Deuces and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

4. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

look for an early Bronco (66-77) oil pan. Its rear sump with a dipstick in the pan

Deuces likes this.

5. ahshoe

ahshoe

Yep, Bronco's are hot now...Several vendors have the Bronco catalog. The pans are available for them.

Deuces likes this.
  6. oldsman41

oldsman41

I have one out of a bronco so they should be made aftermarket with broncs making a come back.

Deuces likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

8. If you need to, I made my own dipstick tube. Had my neighbor(runs a repair shop) put a flange(fuel injection style) on the end of a 3/8 steel line. A 3/8 flare nut secures it to pan. I have yet to fill the pan, to re-mark the dipstick I have.

Deuces likes this.
  9. cammer8

cammer8

Thanks to all for the Bronco info.

Deuces likes this.
  10. cammer8

cammer8

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the Bronco pan is the ticket!

Deuces likes this.
  11. old school rodder

old school rodder

A while back I converted mine to rear sump. I used the Ford kit that comes with the pan, pickup tube and dipstick. I'd like to hope they're still making it. It requires drilling a new dipstick location, but the jig for accurate drilling comes with the kit. Check Ford Racing parts, also used their headers.

12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I used Fox body Mustang . Easier to locate than a Bronco . Works great .

13. I don't know if there is a good source for parts for the older marine engines, but both OMC and Mercruiser used the rear sump pans for the 302 and the 351. I have a 302 rear sump pan, and and it has the provision for the dipstick. The year model for this engine is 1975.
    Bob

14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

The boat pans usually have a windage tray built into them. Have one hanging on the wall we've had for 30 years. It was made by Milodon for whoever built the boats it came out of. Fox body Mustang pan will usually fit the same place a rear sump pan will and they are a little shallower. Have used both. If all you can find is a 351W pan, you can use a 1/4" thick +/- spacer to fill the void on the rear pan seal. Some race pans come with them and list the pans as fitting 302 AND 351W.
    SPark