Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead timing mark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, May 28, 2019.

1. Good evening all,
    I am looking for some info on the timing mark on the pulley of my 51 flathead.
    Mainly...what should it look like?
    A notch? A line?
    I can't seem to find anything on mine.
    There is a pin sticking off the block to the right of center but no visible mark on the pulley that I can find.
    I didnt build this engine.
    Who ever built it or, installed it, painted it with black paint so if the mark is a line it may be hidden by a thick coat of paint.... I always thought the mark was a notch but there is no notch on this pulley.
    I want to check the timing to help resolve a problem I am having that I will start a separate thread on later...
    First things first...I need to know where my timing is at
    Thanks for the info.
    Chappy

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Look for a small bump, about the size of a beebee on the crank pulley. There is no line or notch.

farmalldan likes this.
  3. 56shoebox

56shoebox

What Dirty Doug said. Depending on the amount of paint on the pulley the dimple may be very difficult to find.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Get #1 cylinder close TDC and look for it at the pointer. If I am not mistaken, the pointer is a timing mark for either 2 or 4 degrees advance, its not true TDC, or try another pulley.

GreenMonster48 likes this.

5. Thank you for this information... this what I was afraid of. I did find a small bump on the pulley but I thought it was a paint drip/run as it was about 1.5 inches before the pointer at idle (500-600 rpm).
    Thanks again for the info and responses.
    Chappy