Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Simple cable clutch for hanging pedals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, May 28, 2019.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

I lacked the space to put mechanical clutch linkage in my Morris Minor Gasser project and I didn't want to hassle with a hydraulic setup. So I took my original Morris Minor pedal setup which is floor mounted and turned it into a hanging pedal setup and used a cable and adjuster setup for a late model Fox body Mustang . It has a short tab on the top side of the pedal and I drilled a hole in the pedal . Bolted it to the pedal so it will pull the cable. Then I built the small box you see welded to the firewall so it wouldn't hit the cable guide,drilled a 1 3/8 hole and the adjuster fits perfect. Anchored it with a self tapping screw. You may not have to build the box if your pedals are further away from the firewall.
    The cable routes down to my Lakewood scattershield and has a hole made for the cable. You could use a stock 5.0 bellhousing for a street car. I still need to get a heat sleeve to protect the cable from my fenderwell headers, but it was fairly straight forward. When you put tension on the cable it pulls it right down in the pawl. I hope this helps someone who it thinking about a stick shift hot rod , but does not want a hydraulic T/O bearing. . DSCF3501.JPG DSCF3503.JPG

jimgoetz and David Gersic like this.
  2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

We think alike! '34 Ford p/u, 408 Ford Cleveland, 5 speed.
    DSCF0120.JPG DSCF0121.JPG DSCF0122.JPG DSCF0123.JPG

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    jimgoetz and anthony myrick like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks for the tech. A great idea for a future project.

4. A 5.0 Mustang clutch cable will work with floor mounted pedals too. IMG_4943.PNG

Peanut 1959 and Hnstray like this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

This is pretty slick guys, I really want a stick in my 64!

6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I had a 74 Mustang that had a similar cable for the clutch. When I scrapped the car I kept the cable cause it seemed like a pretty slick set up at the time. The tension was adjusted by a nut that went through the firewall to the pedal.

7. I have the cable set up from a 84 Mustang on the Ranch Wagon, I adapted the quadrant to the 1954 Ford clutch & brake hanging shaft and ran the cable through the fire wall, much like the Mustang.

Using the quadrant nisn't necessary but it does make the clutch much easier to depress HRP.

[​IMG]

brigrat likes this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Oldioron you should be able to adapt one of the kits available for the early Mustang's