Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installing brake light switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DukeCity41, May 27, 2019.

1. DukeCity41

DukeCity41

I am wiring my brake light system. I purchased a power booster from Summit it has this one wire terminal coming from it, not sure what it is. I bought a brake light switch from O'Reilly's part#2-8605. It is a two terminal brake light switch, the switch is closed (on) when it is not depressed and open (off) when depressed. I'm thinking i need the opposite; is my thinking correct, do i need a different type of switch if so what type?

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

the switch on the combination valve is for the brake warning light, on the dash. Most guys don't connect it to anything.

use a hydraulic two pin switch, plumbed into a Tee somewhere. Or find a mechanical switch that will be "closed" when the pedal is pressed

olscrounger likes this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Not sure what type brake pedal setup you're using, but that switch will work if you can mount it in such a way that when the brake pedal is released and not applying brakes the switch is depressed and it will be open, and when you depress the pedal it extends and closes the circuit the brake lights will be energized.

David Gersic likes this.
  4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

My recommendation is a mechanical brake light switch. In a world of drivers looking at their cell phones, the mechanical brake light switch comes on sooner. The brake light on my car required a lot of pedal pressure to light up, scary in Phoenix rush hour traffic. I recently converted my car from a hydraulic to a mechanical, the brake light switch.

p.s. the 2-8605 part number did not show up on the O'Reilly web site

5. partssaloon

partssaloon

6. catdad49

catdad49

IMG_1892.JPG brake light switch.jpg You could use a mechanical switch such as this, available just about anywhere. The one pic is the switch, the other is the switch mounted so that it activates my brake lights. There is another that is installed by the clutch arm that acts as a neutral safety switch.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

8. catdad49

catdad49

Jim, most truck stores carry these. Speedway probably has the cheapest price, but they aren't hard to find. We actually used these on our tandem dumps as a way of checking whether the box was fully down. Are you planning to get the Cuda out this year?

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  9. Is this hooked up to the horn? It should be.

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers