Register now to get rid of these ads!

P 51 Mustang sighting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mule Farmer, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I know you guys will think Im crazy but in pretty sure I saw a P51 Mustang fly over my house today. I live about two blocks away from lake Mich and I think that alot of planes fly along the lake to go north or south.

So im worken out side and hear a plane but it sounds differnt from the normal planes so I look up and thought thats kind of shaped Like a Mustang then I realize that it has the D day stripes painted on the wings. By the time I turned the torch off and set it down it was gone (I live in the woods). I wish I would have had more time to look at it and hear it run, what a sound.

I have seen a B 17 and a squadran of Jap Zeros like four of them ( I think they were A T 6 Texans painted like Zeros for the move Tora Tora Tora. It was cool look up and see four planes with the meat balls painted on the wings.

The B 17 was awsome to listen to all four engines running in sink.

All just sitting around the house hopefuly I get to see a P47 Thunder Bolt and B29 I would love that.

What Machines.

2. Dan1955

Dan1955

If you like the sound of old airplanes, like the P51 and old radial engines you should get a copy of the cd "Round Sounds." Afriend of mine has it. It is too cool.

3. injunnuity

injunnuity
    from Wisconsin

At Crities Field here in Waukesha there is a squaden for P51 Mustangs One that has been painted for each branch of the service pretty cool when they fly over:cool:

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I think P51's were V12 Rolls-Royce powered. But I know what you mean... :D

5. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I used to live in Oshkosh, WI. The plane dudes on here know about that shit...

6. Dan1955

Dan1955

Yes they were, but they are all pretty awesome to hear.

7. ol fueler

ol fueler

Last I heard , the only flyable B29 had coughed an engine & they were trying to raise enough for a new one.

8. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

The Oshkosh fly-in is any day now. My father in law owns a small airport, and he's headed that way now. That's probably where they are headed.

9. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

And you've got to love the 6 straight pipes coming out of the hood on either side! It's no wonder they became hot rodders when they got back from the war...

Attached Files:

10. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Probably the coolest plane ever built. Had one at a local air show a couple of years ago and the pilot was giving rides. Since it was half a months pay I passed. The guy was just trying to break even but out of my price range. Sure was fun to watch and listen.

11. Bugman

Bugman

Was is by chance shiney silver with some blue paint on it??

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

living in Mi ,you are close to kal zoo. there is a museum there. lots of planes some round motors and then the inlines mustang, p 40 most of the zeros are made up t-6s. jim.

13. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

i think i'd freak the hell completely out if i looked up from the woods to see a flight of zeroes...

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

If you like vintage planes check out the Bob Collings collection. He tours the country with his B-17, a B-24 and a B-25. You can even get a ride if you got the dough...

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/menu.htm

15. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I live about 10 miles from Hanscomb AFB in Mass and the Nashua Airport here in NH. Both places regularly have air shows with all those great oldies.

The weirdest sounding plane Ive ever heard was a squadron of B-36's flying over my house on LINY as a kid in the 50's. They were stationed at Mitchell Field. http://www.cowtown.net/proweb/B36_Home.htm

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Before my dad passed (4years ago now) you could take 20 years off his life by just taking him out to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio and push his wheelchair around the planes. He loved to tell about each one and it's role in combat. He was a B-17, B-29, B-47 and B-52 aircraft commander during WWII, the Korean war, and the cold war. He died a Patriot to the end who was proud of his contribution and those who fought and flew with him. Thanks Dad, and to all who served and are now serving.
    I live off the end of the runway here in the tri-cities and I never fail to look up when a plane flies over. It's especially neat when one of the old war birds lands on their way cross country to a show. We also get a lot of military aircraft (transports and fighters) shooting touch and go landings during training missions.

Frank

17. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Ah the B36 THE BIG STICK. very cool.

18. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Packard got the contract to build the V~12 Rolls Royce / Merlin engines, I believe they first use the Alison V~12. then they switched to the Packard/Merlin because of the Alison's poor performance at high altitude.......... I heared some guy put a Packard/Merlin V~12 into a one off roadster. and this other guy put one into a 55 Chevy Bel~air check it out..:cool:

Attached Files:

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

20. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Yea it was very cool Its enuff to make you hit the deck.. tell you realze that its not WW2 and they are texans painted like Zeros.

21. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Your Dad shure did his part. I have often thought about that and all of them and how they did what they had to do. They are all real Heros. In the beginning of the German bombing campain 25 mission was more than was thought could be done with all the loses. Can you amagine the day before you watched your budys get blown from the sky but you got to go up again and you do. I dont think word can realy say what those guys were made of and how much balls they had.

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's an all silver (bare?) B-25 with logos that flies over my house about once a month. I can hear him coming for about 1-2min depending on altitude. The coolest part is about a min after he passes the massive props are almost all you can hear. Bitchin man, just bitchin. I live very near the Yankee Air Force Museum in Ypsilanti, MI. I figure it goes out for "excercise".

23. We live in the flight path for Willow Run airport, home of the Yankee Air Force. It's about the only thing that makes it worth living here. IDK how many times I've heard "Yankee Lady" while cooking dinner in the kitchen, and ran outside to watch it go over. I've even got my kids doing it now too.

The awesome factor with one airplane is amazing. I can't imagine how it felt to have them go over by the hundreds.

PS, Jack Roush has a pretty extensive Mustang collection, we get to see them every now and again too.

Jay

24. Painterman

Painterman

That's too cool. Must have been the day for WWII iron. My wife and I were at a little car show today they do every year in my home town of Rialto, CA and a P-47 flew over really low. It was way cool. I have always been a BIG fan of WWII aircraft. I even painted a few when I worked at Chino airport.

25. I had the Lancaster from the Canadian Warplane Museum bank over my house. One of the pilots lives around the corner from me and he was setting up to buzz his own airfield. heard what I first thought was a helicoter coming then this big black Lanc banks over my front lawn not 300 feet in the air!
    A Harvard owner explained to me why those old warplanes sound so different. The tips of the propellers are actually supersonic and that is wha creates that unique cracking/hammering sound, they are acually mini sonic booms! Totally cool! Stu

26. It could have been Jack Roush although that sounds a bit far from his home base.If it was flying low and fast it was likely him.

The little airfield across from my home(Meyers Airport in Tecumseh)is treated to the sound of his Mustang making a low level high speed pass over it every so often(usually early in the morning).The owner(Keith Diver) and Jack are friends and he likes to wake up the town occasionally.

If you have never experienced the sound of 3,000 wild ponies at full gallop(about 400 mph)at treetop level,you really don't know what you're missing! He usually only does it once as very shortly thereafter the phones are ringing off the hook at the local constabulary.

Here's a couple of pics of Memorial Day 2 years ago.

Attached Files:

27. Perhaps it was for the Muskegon Air show? I can't remember what time of year that is....

28. Bugman

Bugman

The B-17 and P-51 from todays airshow. Video to come soon...

Attached Files:

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Modern aircraft have lost any form of style, how much better looking is that Mustang compared to the F-16??
    I worked restoring WWII aircraft for a long time, man I miss it.
    Cheers,
    Doc.

30. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

That B17, B24, B25 tour flew over my pad, here in Long Beach Ca. last
    month. It did so for days, I spent alota time runnin outside everytime
    they flew over.

I don't beleve ya have to worry about any A6ME (Jap Zero) s' fillin the
    skies any time soon, I think there is only one real air worthy A6ME left,
    flying, the rest are T6s.

Man, they all sound like hot rods, in the skies to me.

Swankey Devils C.C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.