Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 Chevy truck glass thickness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 21, 2019.

1. How thick is the original side glass on these?
    Also what type, plate, laminated safety, tempered?

Thank you

2. squirrel

squirrel

1/4 laminated, like all Chevys from the late 30s to the early 60s.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On 5 windows the rounded quarter glass is tempere id but all the flat glass is laminated as Jim said.
    We have a local shop (more local to Rocket's hot rod shop than Me) that was cutting flat plate glass and sending it off to be tempered for guy who wanted or needed it. The one piece windows in the 47/50 trucks don't like having the door slammed very well and that can solve that.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Reason I’m asking is the glass seems to be bound up in the fuzzy stuff. Thinking maybe too thick on the glass.
    The windows look shop cut and half assed polished especially on the corners. It could be rough on the sides as well giving excessive friction

It’s 2 hands to crank them.

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

The last 3 or 4 of those trucks that I did the interiors on had the same problem Before I did them. I found the channel were squished by the installer.I used a small oak stick to open them , then waxed the glass. that really helped

6. squirrel

squirrel

usual problem these days is metric glass which is a bit too thin,and won't fit the channel/setting tape properly, they end up being loose.

The fuzzy stuff is probably not quite right, and as mentioned you can spend some time working on it to open it up. There are lots of things that can go wrong, installing glass in an old truck. Cutting the glass just a tad large in one or two spots will have the same effect you're experiencing.