Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 - 34 Bangers - Anybody Building Them?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bored&Stroked, May 21, 2019.

1. Hey Guys - I'm a flathead V8 guy . . . and have seen countless Bangers over the years - in cars, at the Antique Nats, Bonneville, TROG, you get the point.

Anyway, ran into a bunch of early V8 and Banger stuff - I know all about the V8's, associated values, who wants what, etc.. BUT - I don't know what is going on in the 4 Banger crowd. Given the various vintage trends, would it be wise to pickup some Good Model B engines, counterweighted cranks, etc? It is all stock stuff - but a good foundation for people who build Bangers.

How hard are Model B (and some say 'C') engines to find these days, what are prices like for cleaned, magged blocks, high-quality reground cranks (counterweighted ones - not pressed on either), etc.

How about Model B fuel pumps . . . what are they going for (rebuilt with modern diaphragms, etc).

How about 32-34 transmissions - stock gears, etc..

I may not use the stuff - but might pick it up, tear apart everything, have everything cleaned and ready for machine work, etc.. BUT - if nobody gives a crap and the stuff isn't worth the effort, then I won't waste my time.

What say you???
    B&S

2. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try asking this on the Monthly Banger Meet thread. Should get plenty of bites!

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

About ten years ago it took me about two years to sell a Model C engine that had been rebuilt to stock dimension, sleeve cylinders and welded/ground crank, and tow rebuilt trannys for $2800 CDN. Nobody wanted it until a restorer needed one for his '32 sedan. Kind of wished I kept it but you can't save everything and the money came in handy.

4. pkhammer

pkhammer

I've had a boatload of model A engines (rebuildable cores) and can barely give them away. I've had a couple of B/C engines with the counterweighted cranks and found a good demand for them. These engines are a smoother, more powerful option popular with model A owners that want a good driver and aren't concerned with originality. They are also popular with vintage racers. No need to put a bunch of work/time into them, if you can pick them up at a good price you'll have no trouble finding buyers. Rebuildable non-runners will bring an easy $500-$800. Fuel pumps alone are $100-$150. Cranks, manifolds, etc are all in demand.

5. Yo dale, I'm looking for b/c blocks and parts. I'm stacking parts for a reverse flow model b. already have the cam and intake and one complete b motor/chassis. You know how racing gos so keep me inline for parts if you do go ahead and buy the stuff. Thanks bruce.

6. mdimages

mdimages

Might be interested in some of these parts. I know I could use a fuel pump. Building a B motor now.

Thanks Matt