Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Cam Honest Charley KEI-1 by Kenny Harman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moe Drum, May 21, 2019.

?
  1. Driver Cam?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mild Cam?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3/4 to Full Race Cam?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Moe Drum

Moe Drum

Does anyone know anything about this KEI-1 Honest Charley's cam that may have been ground by Kenny Harman?

When I first got this cam a few years ago I called Honest Charley's and spoke with Mike Drennan who is now retired. He provided me with the attached photos of the cam description as seen in a 1960's (+/- maybe) catalog. Then I went on to another project and set this one aside.

While the grind number of the cam is the same as the cam that I have, the actual lobe numbers are not the same as on the cam card that I have with my NOS in the box KEI-1 cam.

The cam card with my KEI-1 cam matches nearly exactly with another cam that I researched online. The Harman-Collins Full:

Harmon-Collins Full 19 59 59 19 258 258 38.0 110.0 110.0 110.0 0 0.320 0.320 .011/.015

with the exception of the lift, on mine it is higher at .325 vs. .320

The cam description in the catalog for the KEI-1 shows the numbers exactly the same as a Harman-Collins 3/4 as found when researching the cam website of www.tildentechnologies.com:

Harman- Collins 3/4: 19 59 54 14 258 248 33.0 110.0 110.0 110.0 0 0.320 0.320 .011/.013

Knowing that the NOS KEI-1 cam that I have came from Honest Charley's as it was in the original box with card (and was maybe ground by Kenny Harman), what is the opinion as to the use design of this cam? The catalog shows the KEI-1 grind as having good idle & low torque, designed for <8:1 comp. ratio, high gears / heavy loads. To me that is a good street cam. Yet, based on the information of the Tilden website, it suggest by lobe numbers that it is a FULL race cam and the KEI-1 in the Honest Charley's catalog is a 3/4 race cam.

When I bought this NOS cam it came with other flathead ford parts and it appeared that someone had everything to do a somewhat "hot" rebuild with a ford crank engine. I say that because there were a set of Jhans forged pistons marked 3 3/8" 4ST on the dome that came with these items. Those things couldn't have been cheap, even back then one wouldn't think.

Does anyone have one of these sticks? Has anyone ever run one of these sticks? Does anyone know anything about these sticks???

Thanks,
    Moe

0.jpg Cam2.JPG Cam1.JPG

2. mohead1

mohead1

Alot of duration at .050....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not much lift (.325) though; my stock Merc 8CM is .338.

4. What makes you think it is @ 0.50"?
    The cam seems like a very mild cam to me (Perfect for a heavy Street Car)

5. Fordors

Fordors

Harman used a checking clearance of .015 according to the timing tag so at .050 it won’t be that big. I’ll venture a guess that it might be more like 228° or so, maybe even less. You will have to degree the cam to see what you have at .050 lift and it would be helpful to plot the rate of lift to .050 to see how quickly the valves open, a gentle opening and closing ramp lessens effective duration and will give a lumpier idle and poorer low speed performance.
    Click on the Tilden Technologies link shown in Post #1 and in particular read and study the Flathead Performance Cams section.

mohead1 likes this.
  6. mohead1

mohead1

Obviously didnt see the checking spec excuse me for saying anything

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk