Register now to get rid of these ads!

History John Wheeler's 1935 Ford 3-Window at the 1958 Nats

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dugydog, Jan 17, 2019.

1. dugydog

dugydog

So some of you may know that last December I purchased Johnny Wheeler's 1935 Ford 3-Window Coupe that he raced in the 1958 NHRA Nationals in Oklahoma. Recently I was sent a video from the previous owner so I wanted to share it with you guys. Just a quick background on John Wheeler, He lived in Indianapolis and was one of the founding members of the Cluster Busters Car Club which I understand is still in existence today. In the 1958 NHRA US Nationals Program he is listed as having entered a 1935 Ford with a 1949 Cadillac engine. He ran in B/Gas #71. There are several decals in the windshield that indicate he was an NHRA supporter and at least present at the US Nationals in 1957, 1958, 1961 and 1962. I have been in touch with his car club as well as the NHRA Museum in CA but information has been slow to come by. Up until I received this video I only had a couple of old photos to drool over. I'd still like to know what the result of his racing career was, although I was told that he finished runner up at the US Nationals, I have no idea what year that would have been. As you watch the video before the car is seen at the Oklahoma Nats there is some short footage of the car running at a different race venue. Does anyone know if this was the track known as Bunker Hill? Check out the video at:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - such perky music to with a perky build

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Surely took ME back...Back to the days of Christopher Robin...Oops! I meant San Jose Drag Strep, 1952-1956, "Little Bonneville".
    Cars were 'early', not 'all store bought equipment'...almost every car that ran was owner built!
    Vic Hubbard Speed & Marine of Hayward was the supplier...and Tut's Auto Supply, of Willow Glen. San Jose had other small 'purveyors', (Cook's Automotive, Les Joseph Speed Shop, a few more) But some mail order was happening then, too.
    'Goodies for Compacts' (later, 'Goodies Speed Shop, 1960-present) would come later, owner/operator was Post-Flathead, SBC merchant.

4. John passed away about 4 years ago. Sadly, in his later years some of his fellow club brethren had talked him into updating his car and it was well on its way to being a street rod at his time of death. (Mustang II front end etc..)
    Last I knew the car had sold and is in Greenwood Indiana. Someone found the old Caddy engine and I heard that they were planning on putting it back close to like it was

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

@HEMI32 'S Dad was there in the coupe. didn't see it in the video though. maybe my dates are mixed up

6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

John Wheeler,eh? He must be related. . .