Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cam Thrust Oiling

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fusdol, May 14, 2019.

1. Fusdol

Fusdol

The 59A and the 8BA blocks oil the cam thrust bearing differently. If I install a 59A cam (block thrust) in a 8BA block (timing cover thrust), will there be sufficient oiling for the cam thrust bearing surface? I am doing this to accommodate a direct cam drive distributor.

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I was taught to use the 59A cam & crank gears when I used the early cam : being the opposite direction of the gear teeth kept the cam pressed back into the block like Henry designed it.

3. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

No problem.

4. Fusdol

Fusdol

I agree with your comment, and that would be the combination of gears I would use for the conversion. But oiling is my concern. Both thrust designs were pressure oiled. The 59A through a passage from the relief valve chamber directly above the front cam bearing, and the 8BA from a passage in the nose of the camshaft. I know these cams and gear sets have been substituted over the years, in both directions, and I guess with some luck. However, if Ford provided pressure oiling for these thrust surfaces I can only conclude that it must be important. If I install a 59A cam and gear set in an 8BA block (so I can use the front mount distributor) I will have no pressure oiling between the block and cam thrust surfaces. Will there be enough residual oiling to preserve the bearing surface? Maybe; but I'm not sure I want to take that chance. Any experience anyone can share will be appreciated.

5. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

For a street engine it has never been a problem. Enough oil bleeds through from the cam journal to keep the thrust wet.
    On our circle track engines, we groove the front half of the front cam journal to oil the cam thrust face. These engines have straight cut gear sets though so any thrust is minimal if nothing.
    The groove is put in by hand with a 1/16 diameter carbide dental burr. .020 wide by .020 deep.