Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need Advice 350 SBC Tripower alternator brackets which to use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FlatheadPat, May 11, 2019.

1. FlatheadPat

FlatheadPat

I have a 30 Chevy 2-door sedan with a 350 Small Block Chevy engine 87 manufacture. It currently has a 4bbl Edelbrock and an aluminum intake with proper holes for the 87 and later heads. It has an air conditioning compressor (passenger side high mount) and an alternator (drivers side high mount) I'm restoring a Rochester Tripower set up on an offenhauser manifold with an oil fill/breather. I'll also be adding Edelbrock E-210 heads, this will allow me to use the Offy with no troubles mounting and I can do away with the center bolt valve covers. I'm also eliminating the air conditioning compressor. The PO never installed the airconditioning, just mounted the pump. (The valve covers are mounted using Speedway adapters for center bolt to old style). Chevy1.jpg The car has a power steering pump drivers side low. What I'd like advice on is what style alternator bracket will best suit my application. With the tripower will a high mount alternator bracket still clear the water hose and oil fill?. I'd prefer something old school looking and not billet. The car is designed as a 60's style hot rod.

Deuces and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

If you want it to look old, hang a generator off the driver side exhaust manifold, and ditch the power steering...

If you'd like it to look just a little bit newer (mid-late 60s style) hang an external regulator type alternator off the driver side header. they still sell the crappy brackets to do this.

If you want it to work better, use the 70s corvette alternator bracket that mounts to the front of the driver side cylinder head.

Deuces, ace5043 and upspirate like this.
  3. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I’m going to be using tri power on my Sbc in my 57’Chevy Sedan. I also want a 60’s style look. I’m using Camel Hump Heads with Edelbrock manifold/3 Rochester 2 gs’& Oil filler tube. I modified a bracket to work off #2 exhaust bolt holes to mount my alternator. May really go 60’s and run a generator!!!!!!!!!!!

Deuces likes this.
  4. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

As often said here on the Site, it’ hard to beat the looks of tri power Sbc with Camel Hump heads. Says ...................Hot Rod!!!!!!!

hrm2k, Deuces and 61Cruiser like this.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I used the low under slung bracket, but with some hot rods this may interfere with other stuff especially if it is a swap over.
    There is also a Mid Mount bracket which could be helpful even if for ideas...
    Check out eBay there are plenty of pic's for ideas.

Attached Files:

6. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

On my ‘46 Ford coupe with a 283, I used an early ‘70 smog pump bracket, it mounts the old style external regulator alternator up high on the passenger side. I built it back in the early ‘80 and it has an Edelbrock tri-power with Holley 94’s. It clears the upper radiator hose but I had to make my own adjuster bracket.

Deuces likes this.
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Alan Grove steel brackets if going alternator

Deuces likes this.
  8. Not "trad" by today's standards, but I made mine back in the 80' s. Still going strong with Honda alternator.
    FB_IMG_1544640317858.jpg

mgtstumpy likes this.
  9. Like @squirrel said, use the 70's corvette bracket. I use them on all mine. But instead of looking for one from a corvette site, or a corvette parts guy, just go to the junk yard and find a 68 to 72 chevy truck with a small block and in it and rob the bracket and adjustment arm off it. Its exactly the same as the vette one, hell it might be the same part number. and it wont cost Corvette prices. last one I bought was at my local pick a part for $6.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

Why wouldn't your current alternator mount work? Here's a picture of mine with tri-power. It mounts very similar to yours. I'm using a www.welderseries.com #WS2392 raised alternator mount kit that I modified the back end to work with a generator. Since you are using 2GC's the fuel inlets on the other side should give plenty of clearance. IMG_1079.JPG

11. sx54dx

sx54dx

Hey @goldmountain, I dig your setup and will look to purchase that same mount.
    Do you have any other photos you could share?
    Clearance, driver side shots etc…

Thanks in advance!