Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Power lock wiring help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frozen_bohemian, Apr 30, 2019.

1. frozen_bohemian

frozen_bohemian
    from Minnesota

Decided to install some power locks to my 32 coupe (stock door handles).
    Got the mounting and linkage all figured out and installed to the Bear Claw latches but I'm stuck on the wiring.
    I am using a generic remote car alarm module with relays to the locks and I have the wiring diagram for the alarm wires to the locks but I need to have a switch inside the car to lock/unlock without using the remote.
    Here is the wiring diagram .....where can I wire a switch to operate lock unlock thru the relays?
    I was thinking about a momentary on toggle switch SPDT. 2019004.jpg

2. Install any additional switches in parallel with the inputs from the alarm box. Using a momentary-contact SPDT switch, connect the ground to the switch 'common', then the other sides to the same place as the alarm box inputs; 86 on one relay, 85 on the other. This assumes the control box is furnishing a 'ground' to operate the locks, which is what the diagram shows.

The basic maxim in control circuits is to parallel connect all 'starts', series connect all 'stops'. These are both 'starts'.

deucemac likes this.
  3. frozen_bohemian

frozen_bohemian
    from Minnesota

The switch in the car has 12 volt power to it and could run the lock without relays. Is this the correct wiring diagram?
    The relay has constant 12 volt power to it. I assume you mean to connect the green and blue only to the relay as shown,

2019005.jpg

4. Terrible80

Terrible80

5. Wouldn't mechanical handles on the inside be better in case the module craps out. Buddy had that happen; lucky
    he was skinny enough to crawl out thru the window, then he had to crawl back in with some tools to get at the module and wires.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app