Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 Pontiac Safari Motor Mounts?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, Apr 20, 2019.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I actually like the nomad wheel openings & will definitely consider this down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Point taken

3. Josh...one thing to consider: Not sure what California's titling rules are but here in Nebraska they snuck in a few new ones on us. If the numbers matching engine/trans is not in your car and you have an out of state title, they will make you get a bonded title. Your Safari would be titled as a 2019, 55 Pontiac. Might want to check if California requires an inspection before issuing a new title and what is entailed.
    With your car, to get a Nebraska title I'd need to have the old original engine in the car even if it doesn't run or is a little incomplete. Here, I'd have to lie and say the transmission is the one original to the car to get a title for a 1955 Pontiac. Probably not the case there but you may want to check....these laws were a huge surprise to me the last car I had to have inspected for title. Jus sayin.

GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  4. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I’ll have to check into it. I do know that this car has an original vin plate on the door jamb & usually they just match that to the title.

5. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Here’s a few pics of the 347 that I have. Just noticed this tag on the front so it’s obviously been rebuilt.
    -Any ideas how old this tag would be?
    -What’s a “Power Pak” rebuild?
    -was this something done from the dealership?
    -being that it’s a rebuild is it worth putting it in my safari or should I start with a different motor?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I can't think of any reason not to use it because it is rebuilt. Hopefully it has few miles on it since the rebuild, and will do a good job for you.

7. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I’ve decided to go with the 347 motor & trans that I have since I already have it sitting right next to the car. Plus it has the added bonus if binging right in as many if you have suggested. I’ll clean it up a bit as well as the engine bay & put it in. Does anyone have any images or links they can post of what engine & trans mounts I should be getting for this specific car/motor/trans. I’m not exactly sure which ones I should get & how they install. Kanter sells them, but it doesn’t seem like the picture they show is what I need (maybe just a generic picture) plus they aren’t siesta the most cost effective way to go. I also bought a complete 1955 Pontiac drive shaft. I know it’s going to have to be modified to fit the 1957 trans. What will need to be done to it?
    Thanks for everything fellas.

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

The place here will have what you need.

http://www.pontiacparts.net/

Two mounts that attach to the transmission and one in the front middle. Call. They will know.

9. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Thank wvenfield. I gave them a call & they helped me sort things out a little bit. Like you guys said before, if I keep the 57 trans I’ll have to modify the driveshaft. I found a driveshaft shop near me that can do that work. When talking to the Pontiac shop they mentioned that the linkage on the 57 doesn’t work with the 55 linkage. Can someone explain how I can go about modifying the linkage to work with the 57. I’m just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I delve into this thing. Anything else I I need to be looking for.
    Thanks fellas

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

I had no idea the 55 and 57 linkage was different. I do now. Someone knows but looking at pics it appears the linkage on top is the same. If so I would either look for the lower linkage or see if it's just the length needing altered.

11. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Maybe the guy on the phone is wrong. You guys definitely know a lot about these types of things, so maybe the linkage will be the same.

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

The times I've talked to them they have been pretty knowledgeable. Only one way to find out. Get busy. :D

13. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

Why don't you check out the Ames Performance site? It's all Pontiac. Go to the forums section and the 60 and older section. Someone there can likely answer your questions.

14. theold52

theold52

I ran a '55 slantpan in my '57 9 passenger, hooked up to a stock 287. You CANNOT use the '55 yoke with the '57 transmission. The mounts won't line up. BUT, the 1955 and '57 yokes will both fit into the 1957 Safari. My buddy just bought a running 347 for $400 with the Jetaway trans. He might be in to selling it. I can ask. I helped him pull both, and bought the Jetaway for a spare. I really like the Jetaway 1957 trans. Very smooth. Mine has signs of being rebuilt and I can punch it and it goes real good. I like the combination. Sorry to post this so late. By the way, the 389 is nice. A 1959 version.