Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Heal support/pad for spoon type foot feed ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, May 8, 2019.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Because of lake of space we're using the spoon type gas pedal .To make it more comfortable and safer I want a heal support. For those of you that have used this system can you show me how you did it, how you made it , where you found one, or where you bought it? gene

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

My pickup came with one from the factory. They are more of a side of the foot rest than a heel rest. Just a quick look in a Mac's catalog shows them listed.

footrest.jpg

3. alchemy

alchemy

I think the stock Ford support post/rest like Doublepumper shows is a must with a spoon pedal. More important than a heel support. Your pedal should be low enough that your heel just rests on the flat floor.

On my car I have a small trans hump that helps hold the right side of my heel too.

AVater likes this.
  4. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Well this may be a little crude for you but it works very well. Seriously, I put this in to see if it made my foot position more comfortable and it really did. I haven't come up with a final design yet. DSCN1239.JPG

5. Most of the upholstery supply houses offer a small rubber sew on type of pad, you could use some Velcro on the back to keep it from moving around and avoid having to remove the carpet to sew it on. HRP

[​IMG]

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You cannot be comfortable or really in control of throttle position without the little Ford mushroom. Heel support would only be helpful if your floor contour is bad and keeping foot at right level takes tiring effort. Throttle movement is handled by slightly rolling foot, not stomping, and is very comfortable once everything is decently placed.
    One thing applicable to most antique small cars is that you need to look first at factory locations of controls because the basic design left little extra space for moving things around.They essentially drew in 4 people in chairs on their chassis, drew a line around them and the steering wheel, and put it all in steel.

Moriarity likes this.
  7. 48stude

48stude

My car is blown apart right now for paint ,but here's what I made using an emergency brake pad from a Jeep that I bought from ebay. I welded a flex top locknut on the under side of my floor that I screw it into that allows me to adjust the height or I can unscrew it completely. Bill
    P1020594.JPG P1020595.JPG

Attached Files:

8. Blake 27

Blake 27

I haven't had any issues not using a support on my spoon pedal. My heel rests on the floor pad and the spoon hits the center pad of my foot. With over 24 thousand miles including 7 hour drives, my butt hurts far more than my foot ever has. DSC06726 (2).JPG

pprather, catdad49 and mcsfabrication like this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, what is the correct distance from the spoon pedal and what is the proper height of the little mushroom rest compared to the height of the spoon pedal?

Isn’t going WOT difficult rolling your foot?

10. Blake 27

Blake 27

Pedal height depends on the size of your foot. I think the pedal rest was needed when roads were rough and cars were bouncy.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m going to try my RPU without a rest first, I can always add it if I need it.

12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

As double pumper shows that foot rest is very similar to the ones used on Model A Fords and are readily available. My foot would slip off the spoon in my Deuce Roadster. To solve this I took a stick on grinding pad, about 180 grit, and cut it out in the shape of the spoon and stuck it on. Works well.

13. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

A foot rest as per model a is the way to go LHD however rhd we have a little bracket comes from side of body to rest foot on

14. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Imagine how little space there is on a rhd pre 40 ford ,next time you are in your LHD car imagine 2 pedals were your clutch pedal is or on a model a the throttle is between the brake and clutch pedals

15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

For a good reference on position or height, measure a off topic car. Big company's spend a lot of money putting the pedals in a comfortable spot.
    Tony

16. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I still have the original Model A foot rest for my car but I never reinstalled it. I can see where it would help you roll onto the throttle, my car is a little touchy from a stoplight, and with 4:11's and a snappy motor it's really easy to put more toe into it than intended, but it's comfortable driving.

20190321_204117.jpg For position, I put my seat in the car and put cardboard on the floor. I sat where it felt comfortable and took a sharpie and traced my foot on the floor, then planted the spoon right in the middle of that. 20161224_172257.jpg

17. evintho

evintho

My heelpad/footrest is the trans tunnel. The top is flat so it actually works quite well!

[​IMG]

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In an emergency if you have 3 pedals you need to be able to transition the gas foot smoothly and quickly to the brake pedal. A little forethought will place those pedals where this can be done properly even in tight applications like my roadster. I managed that without a heel pedestal in this one although I have used them in other applications.
    upload_2019-5-9_13-34-25.png