Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starter solenoid placement( whats a good rule of thumb)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, May 8, 2019.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Where should I place the stater solenoid on my single seater project?
    I have a solenoid and bracket off my donor vehicle that I got the motor from. I placed it right below the starter. Is this an alright place? image.jpg image.jpg

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always put them near the battery, not sure why...but I do.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

As close to the source (battery) and load (starter) as possible for electrical reasons. As hidden as possible for style reasons.

lilmann likes this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The battery will be under the seat, as far as looks I'm not to concerned the car is function over form to a certain extent.

5. It'll work just fine there but it may collect road crap/moisture. It's sealed but the connections may corrode. Clean 'em as regular mantainence and you'll be ok.

lothiandon1940 and lilmann like this.
  6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Makes little difference where it's located. Being able to get access to it once everything else around it is in place and attached is my main priority when mounting most things.

56don likes this.
  7. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I would think closer to the battery is better. The main line is "hot" but the line to the starter isn't "hot" until you hit the switch. Less chance of a nick in the insulation or other unforeseen issues. Looks wise, that's as good a place as any.

8. alchemy

alchemy

I like it there.

9. RmK57

RmK57

I like having them in an easily accessible place so you can use it to bump the engine over
    with a screwdriver.:D

56don and bobss396 like this.
  10. On my Ford, it went onto the firewall, shortest run to the battery and easy to get to. Keeping it higher it stays cleaner especially if the roads are wet or I get caught by the rain.

11. RmK57

RmK57

Thats more than likely why Ford mounted millions and millions of them on the passenger fender apron.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That and it's an easy place to hit it with a hammer.

13. I've always tried to get it as far away from heat as possible. HRP

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

No matter what check cranking voltage at battery then at starter (voltmeters are dirt cheap and uncomplicated to use) from time to time and compare it to reading on day one with new parts.
    There are a number of cable connections and also contact points out of sight inside the noid that can slowly and inconspicuously grow resistance all by theyselves. Sneaky little bastards, all.

Moriarity and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Blake 27

Blake 27

Hi Tim, Have you posted a build thread on your project? If not I'd like to see more pics of your roadster.
    It looks really interesting. Say hi to your dad!

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have a old IH tractor that uses the Ford type solenoid, it’s mounted on top of the starter, exposed to the weather like yours. I have to replace it just about every year because moisture gets inside and corrodes everything up. The ones you get now are nowhere as good as the old original Ford units. Dielectric grease on the terminals helps, as does a shield to keep water off it. Normal humidity still seeps into them though.

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Hey Blake how are ya doing? Yes I have a build thread it's----save of the day(single seater)

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Away from heat and water yet accessible if need be for servicing.