Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Altered T Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barbarian, May 5, 2019.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Hello all, I’m new here but have been lurking for awhile. While I know it’s not HAMB friendly, I own a 73 Challenger I’ve “hot rodded” with a big block stroker, suspension, body work, paint, interior, etc.

I’m thinking of an altered t bucket for my next build. Looking to use my leftover 318 but I know that has its challenges with the starter location? I’ve surfed a bunch of threads on here but won’t pretend to know exactly what my plan is. Thinking of going with a speedway frame and body, while looking for a steel body to swap over one day.

I like the look of the builds in the photos attached. What type of front and rear suspension would achieve this look? Looking to learn terminology, any advice on recommended setup etc.

Thanks all in advance for the help and guidance.

Attached Files:

2. Fordors

Fordors

The blue car has a straight tube, aftermarket front axle with a transverse leaf spring for front suspension. The other car also has a tube axle with a very mild drop and uses some really large coil springs. Two things to avoid are seen too, no front brakes and you also do not want a front mounted tie rod like on the black car. Can correct Ackerman be set with a front mounted tie rod? Yes, sometimes. I would just avoid that issue.
    My advice? Don’t buy anything, no parts or especially a car already built unless you do a lot of homework first. Learn technical terms, what works good for others, never shop price, unless of course you are sure it is a quality part at a very good deal. There are knockoff suspension parts to be avoided, along with brakes and steering boxes. Some can be unsafe and some are just outright shit.
    It might not be what you want to hear but read, learn and then read some more, ask questions here hopefully you can avoid some mistakes. When you can formulate a good plan for the car stick to it. I’ve said it before, some builders get caught up in the latest trick part and obsolete what they already have before turning a tire.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    arkiehotrods likes this.
  3. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Thank you for the info, exactly what I want to hear. I won’t be buying anything for some time, doing my research and want to do it right.

What is the recommended suspension setup? Transverse leaf spring up front? What about the rear? What about a good setup for the steering? Corvair box?

4. raven

raven

I have the exact front axle for you hanging up in my shop.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.