Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA Oiling

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fusdol, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Fusdol

Fusdol

What is the primary flow route of oil to the rear cam bearing, and the oil pump drive gears? It would seem to be either up the oil pump stem and into the drive gear chamber, or down the fuel pump push rod to the cam bearing. There is a angular groove cut into the rear section of the cam bearing journal that allows passage of oil, but in which direction? The reason for the question has to do with modifications to accommodate an electric fuel pump.

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

3. Fusdol

Fusdol

The illustration shows that pump pressure carries oil up and past the pump stem and into the gear chamber. There is an arrow showing oil flow thru the fuel pump push rod bushing (small hole in bushing) but not down the rod to the eccentric on the cam. The angular groove in the rear cam journal is shown in the illustration and the direction of this groove and the rotation of the cam would carry oil into the eccentric space between the split cam journal. Although some oil would migrate down the fuel pump push rod, the main source of oiling appears to be from the gear chamber. If this is true I should be able to eliminate the fuel pump push rod bushing, plug the block ID from above and rotate the rear cam bearing at the bottom to seal the cavity. No oil pressure would be lost and rear cam bearing lubrication would not be effected. Does this seem right?

moonie likes this.
  4. Garpo

Garpo

Rear main should be supplied from the oil pump drive gear chamber on the rear of the block. I would be inclined to prove the oil ways with I length of wire while the engine is dismantled; before making any chages.
    Garpo