Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods question on bore spacing re: plymouth and chrysler flat heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McAdam, May 1, 2019.

1. McAdam

McAdam

Hi there, I've got a bit of a project going here and I was wondering how much the flathead 4, 6 and 8s share, as far as architecture and what not. We have what I believe to be a 323 cu in flathead 8 spitfire industrial motor and my boss wants to use it in one of his hot rods. Not sure which body it is going in yet.

Anyway, can anyone provide insight into just how much these engines shared with each other? Bore spacing is the important info here, but all info is welcome! bad ideas abound. thanks!

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They have a flathead specific section on the Allpar site that will probably speed your quest up quite bit and I' think that the flathead six mopar guys on here are on there too. https://www.allpar.com/mopar/flat.html

3. McAdam

McAdam

I've read that page a few times. Information on these is scarce. That allpar page doesn't even list bore x stroke and is mainly focused on the sixes. I will continue my search online, but I thought this would be a good place to ask!

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have had experience with the flathead 4 and I doubt it shares much with the 6 or 8

5. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

I think each division: Chrysler, Desoto, Dodge and Plymouth each had their "own" flathead 6s. I also know nothing about the straight 8. Probably be smooth with lots of torque, but not very good acceleration from stop.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

upload_2019-5-1_12-56-46.jpeg Some ran OK. Digger won D/Dragster at Winter Nationals. Same guy went 250 in liner with Chrysler 8 power IMG0001_WEB-300x208.jpg

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Nothing in common even between n the 23 inch Dodge and Plymouth versions and the 25 inch long Chrysler deSoto ones. The straight eights have a bit more material between the cylinder pairs. The eights crankshaft are kinda whippy and don't like rpms much north of 3500 lots of bottom end touque so you can put tall gears in a light car.