Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '64 Fairlane 500, 3-speed questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sjs5764, Apr 30, 2019.

1. sjs5764

sjs5764

I've posted before about my '64 Fairlane 500 sedan. V8 260 rebuilt and replaced the 2-speed Fordo with a 3-speed Cruiso, rebuilt. The guy who built it (out of a '64 Galaxie 500, 5-bolt), told me to put 13 quarts of trans fluid (1 in the converter before mounting to motor). This is a small case trans and I put the 1 quart in the converter and started adding fluid, have a total of 10 quarts in it and the level reads 1 inch above the fill line (too much fluid). I check it at engine/trans warm and idling and believe it's the original dipstick. Question is, I'm having some sluggish results from the trans. I have not attached the accelerator rod because it's difficult to adapt due to different trans. Am I harming the trans with a higher than indicated level, should I drain out some of the fluid and trust the dipstick reading? Any advice would be appreciated. I drive the car around alot but am trying to work out final bugs, Thanks!
    sjs

2. You need to hook up the downshift linkage. If it wasn't needed Ford wouldnt have put it on there.

3. sdluck

sdluck

ask the guy that built the tranny

4. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

The cruise o matic is made to take off in second gear if you have the selector in the normal drive location. It needs to go in the second notch to start out in first. That's how it works on my 64 Country Sedan

5. sjs5764

sjs5764

Yes, the downshift linkage needs to get hooked up but needs to be modified because it's the same throttle plate up on the intake that was the original with the 2 speed, but since I've got the 3 speed on there now it needs to be cut/bent/modified. The guy who built the 3 speed doesn't answer texts or phone, not sure what's up with him. Can anyone tell me if the lever on the 3 speed that the downshift rod connects to, should be in the up or down position when it's hooked to the throttle? It's spring-loaded and tranny work is above my pay grade. Anyone in the Atlanta area on this post? I've heard other people refer to starting out in the different position to get to first. Any opinions about the fluid level I mentioned earlier, do I need to drain out some fluid?

Attached Files: