Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods DuVall Windshield Frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GR5, Feb 12, 2019.

1. GR5

GR5

Hey Guys,

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed, at least not recently.

I really dig the look of the Duvall windshield frame on roadsters. I know Speedway sells one for the '30-'31 A and also the '32, but not the '28-'29. I also saw that O'Brien makes the Hallock frame for the '28-'29.

I've seen pictures of guys with Duvall frames on their '28-'29 roadsters and RPUs, but I can't seem to find someone who repops them. Anyone know?

Thanks for looking,

Mike

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Duvall's were only for 32's as I remember. RIP Julian Doty, SCTA Sidewinder, knew all about them

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

A friend of mine makes the Duvall frames that Speedway sells. He's making them now for '28-'29 roadsters as well.

4. GR5

GR5

That’s great news. Will they be available through Speedway or direct from him?

Thanks,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I don't think Speedway has them listed. He just recently had the patterns made. Direct from him would be cheaper.

6. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Do you have any info on these?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. john walker

john walker

Always wanted to make one for a larger car, like the early coach builders did. I assume the forms were made of wood andthen cast in brass/bronze, right? Cast whole, then cut later for glass insertion? What about the glass groove, how was that done. We should have a how to discussion on making these.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28-29's were Duke Hallock's...a lot better that a Duvall style.

fourspd2quad likes this.
  9. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I think they're cast in four or five pieces. The glass channels are cast into the frame pieces

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  10. john walker

john walker

The one I got from your buddy is two pieces. The top comes off for the glass. Are the two sections welded together in the middle?

11. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Yes, I've only seen one set as cast and they look real rough. He has to do a lot of work on them when he gets them back from the foundry.

12. A Boner

A Boner

The biggest problem is the pattern has to be made larger so when the cast metal cools, it will end up the correct size to fit the car it is designed for.....Shrinkage!

lothiandon1940 and fourspd2quad like this.
  13. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Some guy in El Paso, TX was getting them poured in Mexico and selling them through E-Bay. Real rough but with alum. not that hard to work with. Almost like you were doing the final shaping and finishing. I think that because he screw over to many people he is now out of business or else hiding out in Mexico.

14. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_1072.JPG The shrinkage problem is not difficult to solve. About 20 years ago I made a pattern for my windshield using pine. My patternmaker friend then added to the pattern for the shrinkage. I think the shrinkage is about 3/16" per foot for aluminum and bronze. He added a piece about 3/8" wide along each piece in the center of the windshield so that it would fit my cowl. We didn't care if the windshield got shorter in the casting. We cast it in bronze at a local foundry. The grooves for the glass were machined after the castings were made.

I love the look of the Hallock windshields but living in New England I knew that I would need enough headroom to have a top. So my windshield is a bit taller and I have about 1/2" of headroom inside under the top. Since then I have cast two more windshields in aluminum using my pattern. IMG_1072.JPG

kidcampbell71 and jimgoetz like this.
  15. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Killer !

16. Phil Carracho

Phil Carracho
    from Atlanta GA

Is your friend still making the windshields? Speedway is no longer offering them. They canceled my order month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. Xman

Xman

I talked with Paul Wescott today and he is considering having Duval windshields either cast in bronze or investment cast in stainless steel. needs to see if there is enough interest.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Where is he located?

19. Xman

Xman

Sorry, Wescotts Auto Restyling I'm sure you know them

20. Rick Coast

Rick Coast

I installed one on a 32 glass roadster and he rolled the car over . he said being so strong cast it acted like a rool bar. thank god they came out with minor injuries.

21. I have a brass one for a T. Not sure that helps...