Register now to get rid of these ads!

build a unibody, questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, May 10, 2011.

1. Frank Lowney

Frank Lowney

I found this 2013 discussion very helpful in my thinking through the prospect of converting a '76 long wheelbase truck to a short wheelbase uni-body truck. Going long to short wheelbase with a dent side truck is well documented but there's precious little on converting to uni-body.
    Mine will be street driven but not consigned to hard labor and heavy loads or towing. Some stop light drag racing might happen but will be rare. Still, structural concerns will be important so I'd be interested in ideas on how to unify cab and bed structurally as well as aesthetically.
    Convertibles, Broncos, Rancheros, El Caminos, etc. provide a number of useful factory analogs to learn from. How did they mitigate the effects of ladder frame twisting? Which of those tactics can be used effectively on a dent side truck such as mine?
    Re the aesthetics, my first instinct is to avoid cutting into the cab by creating a space of about 1" between the back of the cab and the front of the bed. This space could house some square tube framework that could provide anchor points for both cab and bed to attach to. Sealing this thin box from the elements would be important I'd guess, maybe some spray in expanding insulation would be good.
    Your thoughts?

2. squirrel

squirrel

I think you're talking about a truck that's 10 years too new for this place...we do older stuff, up to the mid 60s.

3. Frank Lowney

Frank Lowney

The OP stated, "Ive got a lwb c20 that i plan on making into a swb." He didn't state a year/generation so could have been referencing anything from 1960 to 2002. The several fine replies are relevant to most of those years.
    In the case of 5th and 6th gen Ford trucks (1967-1979), the principles involved are all pretty much the same. Indeed, they probably extend back to 3rd and 4th gen Ford trucks as well.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, but 70s trucks are off topic for the HAMB. If you asked about doing a mid 60s truck, it would be OK. I don't make the rules, I'm just letting you know what they are.

Sent from my Trimline

5. 62rebel

62rebel

Well; first of all, don't use any spray in foam if you don't want rust there. That shit is poison to sheet metal just like RTV. As far as the rest, look at how broncos and blazers and scouts are built.