Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wiring support please

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tahoe, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Tahoe

Tahoe

Ok 29 Five window Ford Coupe ls powered.... I have installed an 2007 Saturn Sky steering column (It's in don't ask why it was in the shop)
    Looking for a pin out as i'd like to use the functions available on it. Light switch self canceling turn signals ect....

Next is I wired in a harness set up for individual brake light, turn signal light. I'm using a different setup that requires brake and turn on the same bulb. No problem go buy a converter right!! Not ! my issue is I need to ground either brake before converter or turn wire to get the converter to work. Not going to work (hello). So I called Hopkins and well that was a cluster @$%#% ck after I told him it was going into a 1929 Ford.
    My question is what converter would work? If any ?

2. squirrel

squirrel

is the column for a CAN bus or is it a normal switch?

but yeah this stuff is pretty far off topic for the HAMB....maybe try a forum about late models for the info on the column.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

convert to traditional set up- just because you have the wrong parts laying doesn't mean that you should use 'em

fastcar1953 and Texas Webb like this.
  4. The converters I've had use the opposite side input as a ground for the internal workings. When you have it on a car with trailer this ground goes thru the car lights; when you put it on a hot rod there are no light bulbs upstream on the inputs so it doesn't work (unless you ground one as you found). Hook the signal inputs to your front lights or dash indicators in addition to the converter and it should work.

F&J likes this.

5. morac41

morac41

Were is Crazy Steve!!!!!

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Helped a buddy build his hotrod... his son had a chrome master cylinder on the shelf, he had a dodge van proportioning valve beside it... he plummed it all of it under a pinto front A chassis...
    couldn't skid on dirt...
    was pithed off at me for his troubles...
    I had told him to let an engineer do the brain work and run the prop. valve and master that came with the front calipers... he did not... my $0.02.

7. F&J

F&J

BJR likes this.
  8. Tahoe

Tahoe

Hey thank you RICH B I had not thought that thru.... That is exactly my problem! I appreciate the support

9. Tahoe

Tahoe

Awesome Thank you!

10. F&J

F&J

Just to say I have not had any problems since that old thread date.

I put the converter in the rear of the trunk, and because you need a brake light feed wire going to it, I spliced in a 3rd (center) brake light wire where that input wire goes into the box. (I actually use a dual filament bulb in the center light, to also have a 3rd taillight)
    DSCN2464.JPG

11. RDR

RDR

Sometimes FREE is NOT a 'Good Deal'....jmho