Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Daughter wanting classic car for first vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by testdepth, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X-cpe

X-cpe

One upside to your child having a unique car is that there is no denying what they did or where they were. A great incentive to behave.

alanp561, loudbang and egads like this.
  2. passingas

passingas

When I was in high school (graduated 1990)I had several friends with cars from the 60s. I didn't acquire a "classic" until I graduated. We all bought them with money from part time jobs. We were all fortunate enough to have beaters (that parents bought) to drive in inclamite weather or the cool car needed attention.
    One thing I remember is we all drove the cool cars much more carefully and responsibly than we did the beaters. They were our pride and joys. The newer/safer cars we did some stoooopid stuff in.

loudbang and egads like this.
  3. 54BOMB

54BOMB

That’s terrifying to think of , a young inexperienced driver in a vehicle big enough to plow through traffic . Just a few weeks ago in my neighborhood ( so 25-30 mph ? ) a young girl in a big truck T-boned a Dodge Neon that pulled out in front of her , the Neon had two 17 year old girls in it , the passenger in the Neon died , on a residential street !
    My own opinion is drivers education, and a lot of it is just important as the vehicle, and no way in hell I’d put my 16 year old daughter in an old car while she’s learning. Traffic is completely bonkers these days .

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  4. egads

egads

Agree 100% ;);)

loudbang likes this.
  5. williebill

williebill

That works for ex-wives, too

Edit... or it's their downfall

loudbang likes this.
  6. gene-koning

gene-koning

When both of my kids turned 18, one in about 96, and the other in about 99, they each got a $200 beater and were expected to pay for insurance, gas, and repairs. Both got mid 80s full size Mopar sedans, one an 85 5th Ave, and the other an 85 Chrysler wagon. When they got tired of them, the next ride was on them.
    My now 18 year old grandson got a 64 Chrysler 4 door sedan, and a mid 90s Dodge Dakota 4x4 for a daily with his license. He still has the 64 Chrysler, the Dakota has long since been traded off on several different rides, the current one is a 2000 something diesel VW. After high school, he is currently attending the local Jr College Auto Repair Tech 2 year course and is at the top of his class.

The first car should be chosen based on the child and the local driving conditions. Who pays for the ride is between the parents and the child, but I believe the responsibility of driving needs to have some strict rules attached to that car, and those too have to be tied to the child. There are no blanket decisions that can be made here, those decisions have to be based on the child, and local driving conditions. Gene

alanp561, egads and loudbang like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A little off topic here, but if you go with a pickup or suv, even the full size ones, they didn't have to meet the safety standards of passenger cars until the '90's. Headrests came about around 1990, and door guard beams were not mandatory until 1995.

loudbang likes this.
  8. When my sons turned driving age and needed a vehicle to get to school/work we purchased them some clean drivers that had airbags. They were responsible for insurance and maintenance costs.

I wouldn't want my kid in anything else.

If she wants a "classic" car, buy one that the 2 of you can rehab together and she can use as a part time vehicle.

Finn Jensen likes this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I really can’t believe my post got deleted here.
    Come on guys, that was over the line.
    Just totally ridiculous.
    The subject is about buying a classic car for our daughters. No build, no questions. Plenty of other off topic cars listed on the thread.
    Please explain why this got singled out?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

OK - this post makes it very hard for Moderators.... to Moderate.

Here we all want to give advise on what car to buy their Daughter and bam the off topic stuff comes out.

People ask why did my post get deleted....

No Bugs, No Pony cars, no cars newer than 1964 - etc etc.....

Deuces, egads and Moriarity like this.
  11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Clearly mine was singled out. Probably because of an added picture??
    Regardless sometimes the delete button needs to be alittle farther away from the index finger.
    Look close at the lists of cars posted here.
    Might as well delete the whole damn thing.

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

"Motor vehicle fatality is the leading cause of accident death among teenagers, representing over one-third of all deaths to teenagers." United States Center for Disease Control and Prevention

I love my old cars, and so do my teenagers. Sorry, but they don't get one as a daily driver (and neither do I). They get multiple air bags, ABS brakes, traction control, snow tires in winter, crumple zones, and anything else I can get them to help defend them.

Finn Jensen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.