Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical UPDATE.......Squeezing a bit more out of my 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Feb 27, 2019.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I could throw out any number of suggestions but honestly I think you have pretty much nailed it, that first gear coupled to the rear gears must make for some spirited driving.
    By the way, 63 Biscaynes have always been in my top five Chevy wants ever since I saw one in ? Super Chevy magazine years ago, white paint/red interior combo.
    Not to turn this into a Saginaw hatefest but.........a Muncie would be all I'd change on your Biscayne.
    I bought a real nice original 64 Impala 2 dr. ht. years ago, 327/275 hp/3 speed/column, all I did to it was put a Muncie M-20 in it with all stock shifter, etc, wasn't a rocket but a fun driving car.
    Best not to start chasing the rabbit!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. sdluck

sdluck

cheap rebuilders piston are way short of the deck,felpro headgasket .039 steel shim .016 so comp is way lower.I have had to run a lot timing after working on rebuilt engines.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

After doing the Torrington bearing conversion in the Saginaw, I tend to side with Doug. (DDDanny) Muncie M20 or M21 would be 'tranny heaven'.
    Those heads are the 'governor', and the cam is 'iffy'... Call Delta Cams, they are friendly and knowledgeable. Have gotten 3 different ones from them, and my 406 grind came with new solid lifters, bargain price.

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.
    After spending a lot of time on the phone today, talking to good old school mechanics, as well as Comp Cams technicians I am leaning toward going with a Comp Cam 270 kit, as well as jumping up to an Edlebrock 600 cfm carb (a friend of mine has one he will let me use to see if I like it)
    Including labor, this combo will keep me in my budget also.

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. Actually the crane is an exact blue print of the L-79 they are the company that bought the rights from GM. The other L-79 cams are close but no cigar.

If I had a hotish 283 and had compression above 9.0:1 and wanted to get a little more zot from it then an L-79 was making I would go with the Duntov 30/30 and run 'em at .026 lash (hot). You'll have to keep your revs up to realize the difference (the L-79 starts making zot off idle and the 30/30 starts a little farther up the RPM range). But I am an idiot so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Oh someone mentioned 2.02 valves with the 283 even at +.060 you will have to do some unshouding to use that valve.

31hotrodguy and scott27 like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm not familiar with a Comp 270 cam but I can say that when I had their 268 in my 350 it was a sweet running street engine, and by the way, the Edelbrock 600 (electric choke) carb is what is still on it but have since changed many things like cam, heads, etc. I still intend on keeping it.
    Consider getting their tune booklet, very useful.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. sdluck

sdluck

Big cam in a 283 +.060 esp with those heads=292

8. David Chandler

David Chandler

The 305 heads I've encountered were either the small chamber ones, with 1.84 intake valves or, the middle range ones with a more open chamber, with either 1.84 intake valves, if they were on a four barrel engine to begin with, or 1.75 intake valves if in a 2 barrel engine. Personally I don't care for the smallest chamber ones, as the shroud the valves excessively, in my opinion. The mid size chambers are around 67 CC's As far as I recall. I have used a set fitted with 1.94 intake valves, and opened the chamber up around the intake valves, These were a but less than a stock 76 CC head from a 350. after this, and porting them, I used a Comp 268 cam in a 350. It was a very good combination in my opinion, with flat topped pistons added to boost the compression somewhat. I ran on regular grade gas, with no knock issues, And being my daily driver at the time, that was a blessing. Also was running 350 swept back exhaust manifolds, into a catalytic converter equipped single exhaust system. The manifolds were 2 1/4 outlets, if I remember right, and it dumped into a 2 1/2 inch system where they were merged together. induction was a Canadian 2 bbl intake, that I radiused considerably, and ran a 500 CFM Holley 2 barrel on top. Th350 trans, mild slip torque converter and 3.40 gears, in a half ton truck. It would fishtail a bit on the first to second gear shift, if you kept your foot in it.
    Obviously, had it been a play toy, I could have done more. But for a 283, I would think the heads are about right. Just check the valve size if you want to know which ones you have. You might consider buying another set, and doing some work on them. Used ones are very reasonable, even if you have to buy the whole engine to get them. I would think a 600 CFM four barrel would be more than adequate, with exhaust work to free up that end too. Then pick a cam that you can live with. Just remember too big in a small engine, doesn't bode well in traffic.
    Hope this helps.
    Dave Chandler

9. sdluck

sdluck

My 040 283 ran the same with a 3310 and a 4360 holley economaster

10. Will this thing run on regular? It could be dismally low on compression.
    You wanted to know the compression..Here's what you do..
    Pull the heads. See what gasket it's got, first of all .
    Then do a deck height check.
    Clean up one chamber and get someone to c.c. it. Now you can calculate the actual c/r.
    You're probably not going to cut the deck , but you can put some early ,thin steel shim gaskets on it , like the old #633's or the newer 262's ( don't know the number, but they're still around) Maybe mill the heads, depending on what you're dealing with there.
    Your biggest gain might be just from more compression. I wouldn't go changing the cam until you know what
    you' ve got there.
    36 Deg. total timing should be about right.

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

While the 2 1/2 ram horns are good manifolds I think there is a little more power to be had with a good set of long tube headers. Don't bother with block huggers or shorties.
    I had a Comp 270 solid lifter cam in the 292 in my '29 pu, I liked the sound and it pulled like crazy, I had 3 Rochesters on it with progressive linkage - probably a little over 600 cfm wide open.
    I'd just add headers, a 600 cfm carb and have it dyno-tuned, that should pep it up some without going inside.

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

UPDATE:
    Thanks to all for your input on my cam question.
    After talking to several mechanics, as well as the posts here...than calling Comp Cams and talking for quite a while with their tech guy I have decided to go with a Comp Cam 270H kit.
    I also will upgrade to a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb.
    Will be a few weeks before I get it done, and will report differences then..
    COMP CAMS K12-211-2 MAGNUM 270H HYD FLAT CAMSHAFT KIT SBC CHEVY 305 350 400

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  13. Okay. What did you tell Comp it had for compression?

14. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

From what I have read the standard 283s had between 8.75 to 9.5 compression. So we assumed a 9.0

15. sdluck

sdluck

Your note say it is .060 over,how far down is the piston in the bore,oem was a steel shim head gasket,doe it have felpro?All this effect comp. What is cranking comp?

16. Ah, but it's not a stock motor, by your words.
    Let's do this. I've built a bunch of Stock and S/S 283's, and this stuff is important for power.
    Let's go with .060 over (3.935 bore), a 3" stroke.
    As someone stated , oversize rebuilder pistons have the crown height (piston top) reduced so as to not add c/r .
    Let's just go with an undecked block at - .030 .
    4 cc.'s dish volume for 4 eyebrows on that type piston.
    Felpro sandwich gasket @ .043
    First we'll do 60 cc's ..C/R = 9.47
    Then 70 = 8.42
    Now 80 cc's = 7.6..Not good .
    Let's see if we can save 70 cc deal with a .016 gasket...Okay. that's 8.95 ..Live-able
    I had asked about the gas you are using ???
    You might say, well those numbers might be off.
    That's my point. You said yourself, you didn't know.
    Carry on..

17. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Everybody has had their say already- I won't add much besides make sure to check your heads and be sure you have the clearance to run the lift on that cam (0.470) Typically 305 heads won't clear more than about .450 lift.

Devin

18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Mark and 4 pedals...
    Thanks for the imput...I will indeed consider this.
    Mark, I missed your question on what gas I use..
    It runs fine on regular.. however, being old school I always use the best premium..
    The info I got for the pistons was that they were flat tops...
    I do not want to in any way ruinng or screw up this engine....
    I am retired and on fixed income so don't have the funds to tear into it much, but good advise on the heads....may have them removed to check.
    Thanks gents..

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  19. So when you're doing your cam change, you can probably look under there and get a glimpse of the head gaskets.
    If it's a composition, I'd be concerned anyway.

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Talked to the mechanic today about this....and now am thinking about pulling the heads also...just to see..also will confirm if in fact flat top pistons.
    Thanks

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you didn't pull the heads, you have to be careful when you replace your valve springs to match your cam. ;)

BigChief likes this.
  22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

UPDATE:
    Picked up my Biscayne, and pleased with the outcome...
    I can tell a definite difference in performance.
    I did go ahead with the Comp Cam 270H kit, which included all new valve springs, lifters as well as as other misc items.. The 305 heads have 60cc chambers.
    Replaced three valve studs, as well as three rocker arms...that had minor wear, but as long as in there went ahead and changed...
    Found a few other things in the electronic ignition, so put a new kit in that too...and as long as we were at it put in new plugs...
    Decided to leave the 500 cfm Edelbrock carb on it, as we put a rebuilt 600 cfm on it and it ran like crap...
    As I said, I am very pleased with it...still not a big block performer, but I like it.
    Was it worth the cost ???
    Probably questionable, but I sold a few guns to pay for it, so I am OK with it..
    Thanks for all of your information and comments...I appreciate it..
    In a year or so if I get anxious again, will probable go to different heads...
    Cheers....

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  23. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Good for you, Happy is job one! Gary:):):)

Hdonlybob likes this.
  24. X-cpe

X-cpe

Cubic dollars?

Hdonlybob likes this.