Register now to get rid of these ads!

60's beach/instrumentals Music

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Landwehr, Jun 7, 2006.

1. anyone else into that stuff ,you know Dick Dale ,beach movie stuff , 60-64 rock instrumentals etc. I am listening to a CD I bought at the last BTT50's from that DJ guy , I want more , local music shops have none of it , D.D. is next to impossible to find here in mosquito land :rolleyes:

2. Eryk

Eryk

3. Mike

Mike

Check out the site at the link below, all kinds of Instrumrntal surf music info.

http://www.reverbcentral.com

Here is a list of some of my favorites.

Old Stuff:

Dick Dale
    Link Wray
    The Challengers
    The Shadows
    The Bel Airs
    The Avengers
    The Ventures

New Stuff:

The Dynotones
    Satans Pilgrims
    The Phantom Surfers
    The Neptunas
    The Raybeats
    Susan and The Surftones
    Los Straightjackets

4. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

5. krooser

krooser

Wax Your Woodie plays every Saturday nite on XM Fifties on Five (ch 5)...all surf music...9PM Eastern...

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

7. psyched0ut

psyched0ut
    from Sweden

The Surfin Gorillas
    The Berzerkers

8. I guess I am NOT alone, LOL, not really into the newer stuff as yet, none that I have heard yet ,(which is very little) really captures that 60's feel,but then I am an old fart :eek: :rolleyes: :D

9. NoSurf

NoSurf

I really like the Blue Hawaiians. Their album "sway" is awesome.

also:

Blue Stingrays
    The Penetrators
    Reluctant Aquanots

10. repoguy

repoguy

11. Muttley

Muttley

12. We have a local band that plays out a lot, The Vodkanauts, the site has some of their music. They play just about anything they want to play... Don't ask me why but they look like moon-faced overweight 30-somethings but can whip crowds into a frenzy when they do Neil Diamond songs.

13. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

If you have XM online they have a really great Surf Rock station. I enjoy surf rock and the type of music you are describing as well but it hasn't quite caught on enough to have its own station in central Ohio. The only waves we are surfing here are wheat!

14. CPR Customs

CPR Customs

check out the CD "Buddy Dughi plays Hot Rod Surf" it is all instrumentals

15. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Mike, you are talking about my favorite time in musical history....leave us not forget, you are from the same state as the infamous Trashmen....
    PM us your mailing address and we will send you some classic era stuff to dig....sure to liven up your next Lutefisk party....
    Hope your health is improving these days, the music should bring a smile....

Johnny

16. Mike

Mike

I agree that a lot of the newer surf bands don't quite have that same '60s vibe and feel that I personally prefer. However, the newer bands that I listed in my earlier post stay very true to that '60s feel. You'll probably dig them.

17. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

I used to think that nothing new could match that of Dick Dale back in the day... until I heard Satan's Pilgrims.

I consider them to be a contender for one of the best surf bands of all time.

18. Amazon has a pretty good selection of CD's.

I got a couple Platters CD's and a couple of Beach Boys CD's from them with no trouble.

19. D Picasso

D Picasso

Man...Or Astro-Man.

20. synthsis

synthsis

I've got XM, does this channel come on the receiver too? if so i missed it. or is this one of their online only type of deals they have. i don't use the online service too often.

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Centurions
    or
    new/old(?!)
    JFA (BAJA is my favorite)
    Hypnotwists were the best, here in town, but they split up, dumbasses!

22. jerry

jerry

A Vegas band I've gotten to hear a couple of time Is Three Swank Bastrds.

A very traditional sound.

jerry

23. Slate

Slate

ChevyGirl,
    being in Ohio, you need to check out the "Fresh Coast" - especially when it's windy!!!

24. It's on the 60"s on 6.

25. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

They rock!!

26. I am going to have to check out some of the new stuff when i get a chance ,nice to see the old surf/rod music is alive n well :D

27. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

The Frolic Diner series is excellent for instrumentals, some surf some straight 60's stuff. Check out Hepcat records, lotsa good stuff. I agree that the modern band's just seem to sound different, trying for a tuffer sound I guess.

If you are going to with modern sounds, slightly off topic is spagetti western surf music. I know, I know, but have a listen, its tuff music to load your weapons by. Try Que Pasta by Death Valley...

28. Try this site.http://pollodelmar.com/mart/frame.html
    I'm a fan of their stuff. I have several of their cd's. I also like the Penetrators and I found a compilation several years ago called Fiberglass Jungle. It was made up by bands in the Texas surf music circuit. Austin used to be a real hotbed for this. This site is full of info. http://www.zptduda.com/cowabunga/

29. krooser

krooser

I'm old...forgive me....

30. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Check out Eddie Angel's, of Los Straightjackets, solo record, Guitar Party. The real deal! Very authentic, gritty, sleazy, instrumental guitar stuff. Got a chance to see him live a few times and it's always great!